The Ontario Catapult Microloan Fund enables social entrepreneurs and innovators to grow their world-changing enterprises with access to capital and CSI’s existing programming and services. The fund has made $320,000 in loans so far!
- Offers loans to social enterprises with existing revenues that require growth capital.
- Provides loans (5% – 8%) of $5,000 – $25,000 to revenue-generating social enterprises.
- Up to a 5 year term.
- For members of CSI (you can still apply if you are not a member but you will need to become a member once you are approved), offering a range of supports.
- Undertakes a full impact assessment of the investments over a two-year period.
WHY APPLY FOR A CATAPULT LOAN?
Reasons for taking out a loan will vary from person to person and will depend on where you are in your life/business cycle, legal structure and the types of activities you engage in. Here are some primary reasons people may want to pursue a loan:
- To bridge cash flow/funding gaps – when you know the money is coming, but you have expenses today.
- To invest in growth – maybe to expand operations, invest in new technology, purchase new equipment or inventory.
- To build credibility – taking a loan can help build credibility for further investment down the road.
- To get feedback – even if you are not successful in your application, you will receive detailed feedback that may help you become investment ready at a later stage.
WHEN ARE YOU READY FOR A LOAN?
- You have a clear business plan.
- You are generating revenue.
- The loan will help you generate more revenue and increase profitability.
- You have the research and history to back this up.
“The support from the community and microloan has given our team the confidence and cash flow to help us achieve our recent successes and helped build Peekapak’s credibility in the market.”
— Ami Shah, Peekapak, Catapult Recipient
ELIGIBLE SOCIAL VENTURES
- Be Ontario-based
- Have fewer than 25 full-time employees
- Have annual revenues, but under $2 Million
- Be addressing a social, environmental, economic, or cultural challenge
- Be investment ready (see more details below)
Loans should be used for specific aspects of the business that will position it for growth. For example, past loan recipients have used the loans to hire more staff, purchase equipment or invest in manufacturing.
Please ensure that you meet the Ontario Catapult Microloan criteria found in the submission guidelines. You will be asked to provide information and documentation on the following:
- Business Plan
- Marketing Plan
- Financial Statements (at minimum 3 years of cash flow projections broken down by months, and an actual one-year Profit & Loss statement)
- Social Impact
- Reason to Believe/Credibility
The Ontario Catapult Microloan Fund is a partnership between the Centre for Social Innovation, the Province of Ontario, Alterna Savings, Microsoft Canada, TD Bank Group, KPMG, and Social Capital Partners and is designed to help promising social entrepreneurs and innovators with low interest loans of $5,000-$25,000.
Veronika Kvon, Programs Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ontario Catapult Microloan Application
Purpose of the Social Enterprise Business Plan
We recognize that there is a multitude of ways to change the world. This is YOUR opportunity to explain yours in a clear and concise way so that a complete stranger can understand how you are commercially successful and achieve social impact. Please use our Submissions Guidelines document to best support your application.
Please know that we respect your privacy and the information you provide will be used by CSI and its advisors to evaluate your application and the Ontario Catapult Microloan program.
Applications are reviewed on the 15th of each month.