Ontario Nature is seeking an enthusiastic Accounting Assistant to join our team to play a key role in the efficient day-to-day financial operations of the organization. Reporting to the Finance Director, the successful applicant will be responsible for providing support to the finance team.
This job is perfect for you if you are proficient in accounting, highly organized and love working with people. You have a proven track record in administrative roles and have excellent communication skills. You are a keen problem solver with the confidence to work autonomously, taking initiative when needed.
The ideal candidate has a strong interest in nature and the charitable sector. They will join a team of 30 staff members in a collaborative and fun work environment.
About Ontario Nature
Ontario Nature is a charitable conservation organization that protects wild species and wild spaces across Ontario through conservation, education and public engagement. We represent over 155 member groups, and more than 30,000 individual members and supporters throughout the province. We are there wherever and whenever nature needs us most. To learn more, visit: ontarionature.org.
Why Work With Ontario Nature
- Flexible work hours and location, in accordance with our Remote Work Policy.
- Progressive workspace and membership perks at the Centre for Social Innovation in Toronto.
- Generous vacation leave and pro-rated paid days off in addition to statutory holidays during our office closure in late December.
- Fulfilling, purpose-driven work, alongside 30 passionate and committed colleagues.
- An ongoing commitment to create an inclusive and equitable environment for employees, volunteers, members and supporters.
- Opportunities for advancement, skill development and cross-sectoral collaboration.
- Support for taking initiative and pursuing aligned personal interest projects.
- Team building and social opportunities.
- Validate accuracy of invoices and follow-up with team members for missing information.
- Create accounts receivable invoices.
- Monitor accounts receivable by following up with customers for collection.
- Complete monthly accounts reconciliation for various accounts (i.e., bank, deferred revenue, prepaid, accrued liabilities, etc.).
- Assist in preparation of data and perform calculations for journal entries.
- Assist in month-end closing process.
- Act as a back-up to perform visa reconciliations and accounts payable functions, if required.
- Post-secondary education in accounting or finance.
- At least 1 year of experience in accounting.
- Proficient in Sage and Microsoft 365 applications.
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to think critically and analytically.
- Strong team player.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to learn quickly and solve problems.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities.
- Experience working or volunteering in the non-profit sector.
- A positive outlook and a love of nature and the outdoors.
Anticipated Start Date: July 2023
Type of Position: Part-time (2.5 days per week), permanent position. Working hours to be determined with the successful candidate.
Compensation: $42,800 – $48,150 per year, pro-rated to 50% full-time equivalent
Location: This position is based at Ontario Nature’s Head Office – 720 Bathurst St, Toronto, ON
- This position can work remotely in accordance with our operational Remote Work Policy.
Working Conditions: Extensive sitting and desk work involving detailed computer use.
- Include your resume, cover letter and three references in one PDF document, addressing your qualifications and experience
- Include “Accounting Assistant” in the subject line
- Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline for applications: Tuesday, June 13th, 11:59 p.m.
Although Ontario Nature appreciates the efforts of all those who apply for this position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No unsolicited emails or phone calls please.
Ontario Nature is committed to employment equity, diversity and accessibility. Requests for disability-related accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process, and applicants should make their requirements known when contacted.