CEO at Escarpment Biosphere Conservancy
Become the Escarpment Biosphere Conservancy’s new CEO!
The Escarpment Biosphere Conservancy has hired Evenings & Weekends Consulting to conduct the recruitment process for their future Chief Executive Officer (CEO). For more information about this opportunity, please contact Laëtitia Eyssartel, Co-Managing Director at Evenings & Weekends Consulting by email at email@example.com or apply directly here.
About the Escarpment Biosphere Conservancy (EBC)
EBC is the largest Ontario-focused charitable land trust. Operating for the past 26 years, EBC now protects over 23,000 acres of land, on 234 nature preserves in the area of the Niagara Escarpment. EBC’s work focuses on land acquisition, stewardship, and public education, with an emphasis on reconciliation with Indigenous People. This year, EBC was named one of the top 100 charities by Charity Intelligence.
EBC’s mission is:
- to establish, maintain and manage a system of nature preserves in the area of the Niagara Escarpment (including the Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere), including the maintenance of physical features of scientific and/or ecological, cultural, historic or scenic interest; to maintain, enhance or restore areas of native species or natural habitat; and to encourage and support scientific research and educational services related thereto
- to educate the public about conservation and preservation of the landscape, ecology and wildlife of the Niagara Escarpment, partly through providing low impact, ecologically sustainable recreational opportunities, which complement and do not substantially conflict with our primary objective.
EBC currently has a working Board governance model. You can meet the Board here.
About the CEO role
This role is a great opportunity for a collaborative leader who is passionate about land conservation, stewardship and taking action to mitigate climate change at a regional scale.
The CEO will play a critical role to ensure the smooth running of the organization and day-to-day operations, as well as supporting and leading a staff team of 6. They will work closely with the Board to advance the strategic priorities for the organization and build relationships with a wide range of members, groups and organizations to successfully deliver on the vision and mission of the organization. The successful candidate will report to EBC’s Board of Directors.
Responsibilities (include, but are not limited to):
- Lead the day-to-day operations of the organization, including providing oversight and strategic direction to the staff team and guidance for the Board of Directors
- Work with the Board to implement mitigation strategies regarding potential liability and risks
- Support the Board of Directors with developing the organization’s strategic plan, including setting short- and long-term objectives and priorities to ensure EBC continues to thrive and grow both now and in the future
Development & Fundraising
- Oversee all fundraising activities including developing and implementing a fundraising strategy aligned with EBC’s goals which deliver programs and campaigns that drive revenue, securing grants, sponsorships, major gifts and increasing individual donations
- Oversee of all communications and public relations/marketing strategies and tactics (website, social media, etc)
Community Relations & Advocacy
- Build and nurture relationships with partners and the community, including government agencies, donors, stewards, other conservancy groups, landowners and users of the trail systems
- Engage and build relationships with First Nations affected by EBC’s activities and understand how EBC can best support their existing work and efforts in land conservation and stewardship, and learn from Indigenous groups how to hold the land in a good way
- Act as a spokesperson for EBC and represent the organization at community events to enhance EBC’s profile
People Operations Management
- Lead, motivate and support a high performing team in a hybrid work environment
- Lead the development of HR policies, procedures and plans that foster a positive, collaborative and welcoming work environment for the Board to review and approve
- Develop effective and transparent systems of communication at all levels of the organization
- Oversee the development and execution of volunteer recruitment, retention and recognition strategies
Financial & Operational Oversight
- Oversee the day-to-day financial operation of EBC in an effective manner
- Ensure that financial and accounting records are kept up to date and that reporting requirements and payment obligations are met
- Prepare annual budget and monthly financials to present to the Board
- Manage approved budgets and provide regular reports to the Board of Directors
- Ensure compliance with bylaws, policies and all other statutory and regulatory requirements and identify and manage risks to organizational health
- Support all activities of the Board, including providing required CEO reports in advance of Board meetings
- Ensure all EBC sites available for public use are safe and reasonably available for use by all groups and communities in Ontario
- Prior experience in a leadership capacity in the not-for-profit sector
- Demonstrated success in securing grants, sponsorships, or individual donations (including planned giving) and a keen understanding of revenue generating best practices
- Strong ability to build relationships & effective and reciprocal working partnerships with a wide range of constituency groups
- A strong commitment to advancing equity, accessibility and inclusivity both internally and in the way programs and activities are designed and led
- Well-developed management and leadership skills with the ability to motivate a diverse team in a hybrid working model and an ability to effectively prioritize and delegate work
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic plans and priorities
- Understanding of the unique requirements of running a charitable organization
- Excellent problem-solving and decision-making skills to assess challenges, develop solutions and assess and mitigate risk.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and understanding of various models of governance
- Ability to develop and track budgets and lead audit processes
- Ability to navigate stressful situations and resolve conflicts effectively
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience in land trust / conservancy and/or a conservation-related discipline is a strong asset
- A good sense of humour and a willingness to share it
Required Qualifications & Critical Commitments
- The legal authority to work in Canada
- An ability to travel to various places in Ontario and along the Niagara escarpment where public transportation may not be available
- Ability to work in the evenings and weekends when required
Salary: $135,000* + extended health benefits (at start)
* EBC believes in equal pay for equal work. As such, EBC does not negotiate the starting salary, benefits or vacation for any position.
Location: Hybrid. Some presence in the office (located in Toronto at 192 Spadina Ave) is expected on a weekly basis. Travel within Ontario (and especially along the Niagara escarpment) will be required from time to time.
Vacation: 3 weeks + 1 week Winter shutdown
Wellness/Sick Days: 10 Days
Term: Full-time Indefinite
The posting closes on Thursday, December 7 at 10 AM EST
EBC invites applications from all qualified individuals. EBC is committed to diversity, inclusion, racial justice and reconciliation. EBC strongly encourages applications from members of equity-deserving groups, including those who identify as Indigenous, Black, racialized and from other under-represented communities.
If you require accommodation for the job application process, do not hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Preparing for an interview takes time and labour, so candidates who interview with EBC will be compensated at a fixed rate of $100 per interview. Questions will be provided ahead of time so candidates are able to prepare for the interview as they see fit.
Note: Evenings & Weekends Consulting and EBC may only be able to meet with applicants selected to move forward in the hiring process, but Evenings & Weekends Consulting will provide an update on the outcome of the process to all applicants.
About Evening & Weekends Consulting
Evenings & Weekends Consulting was created to support emerging organizations, activist groups, charities, labour unions, academic institutions and community groups by combining our experience and expertise with theirs, as we work together to solve problems, seize opportunities and make good change happen.
As a values-driven consultancy, we are committed to advancing equity, justice and social change through ongoing collaboration.
We recognize that every situation, campaign, initiative and project is different, so we approach each with the uniqueness and curiosity that it deserves. Our clients get innovative and effective solutions tailored to their specific needs.