Communications and Content Specialist
Reporting to: Director of Communications
Location: Toronto, starting remotely and later working from our CSI locations
Position Type: Full time, permanent
Work Hours: 37.5h/week, Mon-Fri
Compensation: $55-65K annually, commensurate with experience, plus benefits after probation period.
The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is a nonprofit social enterprise based in Toronto with collaborative workspaces, communities and national acceleration programs. CSI supports over 1,000 nonprofits and social mission organizations tackling a range of social, environmental and economic challenges. Our mission is to catalyze social innovation by amplifying the success of our members and fueling a movement for people and planet. CSI works closely with our affiliate organization, the Centre for Social Innovation Institute, to make social innovation education, training and spaces inclusive and accessible.
Collaboration, entrepreneurship and systems change are embodied in everything we do. We have the passion and drive of a young tech start-up but remain rooted in the social movements of the 60’s and 70’s and bring the professionalism of the 21st century. We are wildly optimistic, committed to finding solutions that put people and planet first, while being deeply pragmatic. We are looking for someone who is committed to leveraging their skills, smarts and emotional intelligence to having an impact on our world.
This is a rare kind of crew – practical, friendly and deeply ambitious. We are determined to change the world and we have a plan, but we need your help to make it happen! We are making social change and having fun doing it.
About the Role
You’re a storyteller! You love to write and share compelling, inspirational, and insightful stories with the world. You’re able to draw readers in and give them the news they need. You have the curiosity of a journalist, and can pitch stories on the Next Economy, social enterprise, and social innovation in your sleep. You understand the power of start-ups, acceleration services, and community and can translate it to insiders and a general audience. You’re embedded in the social innovation community and can follow the leads that result in great content.
As a part of the CSI Comms team, the Communications and Content Specialist will help CSI provide a growing platform for stories and knowledge from our staff, members, partners, and networks. The Communication and Content Specialist will play a key role in shaping and executing the content strategy that powers this work.
You’re keen to grow the field of social innovation and social entrepreneurship in Toronto and across Canada and are excited to share creative solutions with the world.
- Participate in communications and editorial strategy planning
- Be our go-to journalist and writer: interview members, partners and beyond, attend and cover CSI events, prepare and promote CSI content
- Create, source, and distribute content (blog articles, op-eds, press releases, reports, and more) to inspire, educate, and drive action
- Develop light visual design (use of Canva – primarily for creating shareables)
- Update and maintain WordPress pages
- Other related duties as needed and agreed upon
As with all members of the CSI staff team, the Communications and Content Specialist will be expected to:
- Connect people and ideas
- Brighten peoples’ days
- Be at the heart of an incredible community
- Build social networks
- Create a culture of openness, sharing, and caring
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed
- A passion for our work, our vision and our people, aligning with CSI’s values of inclusion, diversity, accessibility and sustainability
- Educational background in journalism, communications, PR, content creation, or equivalent experience
- At least 3-5 years of communications experience in a complex organization
- Ability to create content for multiple brand identities
- Comfort using these digital tools: Mailchimp, Asana, Canva, WordPress, Google Suite
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work independently you’re organized, able to balance many projects at once, and triage priorities.
- Fluency in French
- Familiarity writing about the Canadian social innovation and social enterprise sectors, knowledgeable about social innovation trends, practices and players
- Graphic design skills
- International experience recognized
- CSI has a comprehensive wellness plan
What you can expect working with us
We are a dynamic and collaborative team invested in our mission. We are constantly seeking to improve processes and increase our impact.
We advocate for the presence and contributions of all people regardless of ability, age, cultural background, education, ethnic origin, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, language, marital status, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliations, perspective, race, religion, sexual orientation, sexuality, family status, socioeconomic status, or other such considerations, and intersectionalities therein. We strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until January 4, 2021. Please submit your full application here, including your resume and cover letter as soon as you are interested.
Only those selected will be contacted via e-mail and/or phone call.
Please let us know of any specific requirements needed in advance of visiting any our spaces – we will be happy to work with you on any accommodation requests.