Do you want to help tell the story of civic tech in Canada?
Code for Canada is looking for a mission-driven storyteller, marketer or content specialist to join our team as a Communications Coordinator.
You’ll work with our Communications Lead to amplify Code for Canada’s voice, grow our brand and tell the stories of residents and governments using tech and design to make life better for Canadians.
This is a new role, and the right person will influence its shape and grow with it. Over time, you’ll take on additional responsibility, not just for producing compelling content, but also for the strategy and planning behind it.
- This is a full-time, four-month contract with a strong likelihood of becoming permanent.
- The salary is equivalent to $45,000/year.
- The successful candidate will work out of our office in downtown Toronto.
- We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis until 5 p.m. EDT on Nov. 6, 2019.
- The anticipated start date is Dec. 2, 2019.
Here's what you'll do
- Help tell the story of Code for Canada’s work and impact across our social media channels, website, newsletter, email campaigns and blog
- Share the latest news in civic tech and digital government with our audiences
- Work closely with the Communications Lead to create a robust editorial calendar
- Lead the delivery of Code for Canada’s Open House events, both locally and across the country
- Experiment with different ways to engage and grow our audience
- Provide communications and editorial support to Code for Canada’s program managers and fellowship teams
- Support the planning and delivery of larger communication initiatives, including fellowship recruitment and regular Showcase events
- A strong, cross-platform writer and communicator who can work fast and meet deadlines
- The ability to translate the jargon of tech, civic innovation and government into language and narratives that resonate with people
- A strong understanding of social media platforms and promotion on those platforms
- Basic graphic design (e.g. developing images for social media, crafting great-looking slide decks, etc.)
- A demonstrated interest in technology, government, public policy and/or civic tech
- Bilingualism (English and French) and the ability to translate English copy to French
- Experience managing and executing a content calendar for an organization or company
- Experience organizing events: writing invitation copy, managing RSVPs, liaising with speakers and setting up venues
- Experience maintaining websites and social media channels, and monitoring and analyzing related metrics
- Experience using a CRM for communications or marketing purposes
- A knack for quickly identifying communities of practice on social media, and finding stories, articles and research that will be relevant for them
- Additional technical skills like website development, knowledge of WordPress, video editing, advanced graphic design or podcast production
- Familiarity with collaboration tools like Slack or Trello
Working at Code for Canada
- We are a startup nonprofit: small, agile, and pushing relentlessly to make an impact
- We ask for and share feedback often
- We work both independently and collaboratively, as circumstances require
- We juggle several projects at once
- We value openness, iteration, grit and empathy
- We strive to be a flexible workplace, and encourage remote work and alternative hours
How to apply
To apply, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your résumé, noting relevant work experience
- Links to two writing samples and any relevant social media accounts
- A note about where you found this job posting
Please do not attach a cover letter; instead, please include a few lines about why you’re interested in Code for Canada’s work in the body of your email.
We’ll do our best to respond to everyone, but we can only guarantee responses to shortlisted candidates.
Code for Canada values an environment that is free of discrimination, respects difference, and allows employees to bring their whole selves to work. We strongly encourage individuals from under-represented groups to apply for this position. If you require accommodation measures for the selection process, please notify us.