REEL CANADA is hiring a full-time Communications Coordinator to join our team on contract, starting in October 2023 and running through to the end of June 2024, with the possibility of an extension.
REEL CANADA is a charitable not-for-profit whose mission is to introduce audiences to Canadian film and engage them in a conversation about identity and culture. We run year-round school programmes and annually present National Canadian Film Day – our country’s largest celebration of Canadian film – every April.
Our newest programme, Reel Opportunities, is designed to introduce high school students to the career opportunities available to them in the Canadian film and television industry. The Communications Coordinator will play an integral role in supporting this growing initiative.
Our organization thrives on a collaborative and friendly team atmosphere. The successful candidate has a passion for cinema and Canadian culture and wants to make an important contribution to the cultural life of this country.
The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for helping to ensure consistent and cohesive messaging across all platforms, speaking to the community by engaging, updating and maintaining a Social Media presence. They will also facilitate the execution of our digital communications initiatives on our websites, blogs and various newsletters.
This position is funded by Economic and Social Development Canada under the Youth Employment and Skills Strategy programme and, therefore, has strict qualifying criteria: All applicants must be 30 years of age or younger.
REEL CANADA is actively seeking candidates with diverse identities and lived experiences. We encourage those who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, people of colour, or people with a disability to apply.
REEL CANADA is a hybrid work environment, with staff working in the office at Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto 2 days per week and working remotely for the remainder of the week (subject to change).
Reporting to the Communications Managers, the Communications Coordinator will be responsible for the following:
- Work with other coordinators to create both visual and written content that ensures our social media channels are up-to-date, timely and engaging
- Creatively promote the Reel Opportunities programme, workshops and career resources to new and existing audiences
- Community management, as required
- Analytics management, as required
- Support data collection and survey creation for Reel Opportunities pop-up film schools and other REEL CANADA initiatives.
- Support regular updates on our two company websites
- Produce written website, blog and newsletter content.
- Support the email communications process
- Assist with the creation of media toolkits and social media outreach kits
- Assist with calendar management and scheduling for Reel Opportunities pop-up film schools and liaise with partners
- Maintain organization of the communications folders, assets, and archives
- Keep a pulse on Canadian film news
- Support the Communications Managers as necessary
- Professional writing experience in marketing, brand communications or social media; Demonstrated ability to write with different tones of voice and writing styles according to the platform.
- Practical experience using design software such as Canva, Photoshop, InDesign etc.
- Strong attention to detail
- Calendar/schedule management
- Fluent or advanced French is a strong asset
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets and Word/Google Docs
- Experience with both WordPress and Mailchimp
- Familiarity with social media platforms: Instagram, Facebook, X and TikTok
- Comfortable using Zoom and similar video conferencing services
- Ability to manage several different deadlines simultaneously
- Familiarity with AirTable and/or Salesforce is an asset
- Familiarity with the Canadian film industry and landscape is a strong asset.
What REEL CANADA offers:
- Salary: $44K
- Paid time off (2 weeks)
- Winter/holiday vacation and extended holiday weekends
- A great team-centric culture
- Flexible work environment
Interested applicants are invited to submit a PDF cover letter and resume on the REEL CANADA website, at: reelcanada.ca/join-our-team
Want to really make an impact? Include a link to your digital portfolio.
We thank all applicants for their interest in REEL CANADA and National Canadian Film Day, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
REEL CANADA welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please write to email@example.com to indicate what accommodations are required, or arrange a phone call.