Position: Communications Officer
Hours: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Contract type: Full-time permanent
Start date: As soon as possible
Location: Anywhere in Canada
Reports to: Manager, Communications
Applications open: July 7, 2022
Closing date: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with the deadline of August 4, 2022 at 23:59 EDT
Salary: $48,000 + $50/month mobile stipend
Benefits: Health & Dental Benefits provided after 3 months’ probation
Vacation: Three weeks (15 days) paid vacation per calendar year, prorated for part years
Application method: Application form
All candidates must be legally able to work in Canada and available for occasional travel domestically and internationally. Candidates must be available for occasional evenings and weekends for Fora events. Lieu time off is provided for time worked outside of business hours.
Fora is seeking a Communications Officer responsible for creating, writing and distributing a broad range of organizational communications, both internal and external, to promote the brand, mission and values of Fora. Reporting to the Manager of Communications and working closely with the Fora team, the Communications Officer will ensure that collateral and digital assets are aligned with the organization’s strategy
and activities. The Officer plays a lead role in the strategic, creative development, and implementation of all communications, marketing, and advertising to increase stakeholder engagement and awareness.
The Officer plays a vital role in holding relationships with the Fora community members; the successful candidate should be comfortable communicating about a broad diversity of policy topics, including gender equity, racial justice, disability justice, environmental sustainability, economic inclusion, and the rights of young women and gender-diverse individuals. They should bring experience and/or familiarity with how these issues affect young women and gender-diverse youth around the world.
The successful candidate is also a positive and outgoing individual who is as comfortable working independently as being a collaborative team player. They receive feedback with openness and willingness to adapt, learn and grow. An independent learner, this individual takes initiative to learn new technologies and skills as needed.
The Communication Officer’s main responsibilities include:
• Use graphic design skills to create captivating, on-brand visual assets;
• Manage the organization’s website, hosted on SquareSpace, by regularly updating content and designing new pages as needed;
• Managing the organization’s social media channels including: crafting and scheduling content, growing and engaging with audiences, and creating new opportunities for relationship building in online communities;
• Manage email marketing efforts (e.g. digital newsletter);
• Create and oversee online advertising, including social media ads;
• Monitor, analyze and report on metrics and analytics that lead to optimization of programs, improvements to user experience, and support of strategic objectives;
• Support and collaborate with colleagues to ensure digital strategies are integrated with fund development activities such as events, third party initiatives, sponsorship, major gifts, planned giving and stewardship;
• Support fund development by researching and offering new approaches to build annual fundraising campaigns through digital marketing;
• Lead on the development of online event platforms to host workshops and trainings;
• Host digital engagement opportunities for social media followers;
• Collaborate with Advocacy Manager and Programs Officer, Summit and Community to develop content and programming surrounding notable events and dates;
• Occasional workshop facilitation
All team members also:
• Participate and play an active role in all Fora programs’ external events;
• Occasionally participate in Fora programs’ workshops and other internal events;
• Assist in the preparation of cross-team reports and communications materials;
• Contribute to the organizational strategic planning, annual planning, etc.; and
• Other duties as needed.
- Committed to feminist values with an understanding of how the intersecting identities of women and gender-diverse individuals can lead to different experiences of marginalization;
- Experience with website management, with some HTML and CSS coding skills;
- An eye for and love of design, with a strong proficiency in the use of platforms like Canva
- 1-3 years of communications experience in a nonprofit organization;
- Highly independent with a proven ability to lead on projects;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Solutions-oriented and can troubleshoot day-to-day issues as they arise, whether logistical or interpersonal in nature;
- Proficiency in some of the following would be an asset: Canva, Loomly, Adobe Suite, Mailchimp, Squarespace, Asana, Accredible, LearnWorlds and a strong willingness and ability to learn new platforms;
- Comfort working with Microsoft Office, Slack and other digital tools to maintain clear and organized documentation and data management;
- Comfort with social media and digital technologies;
- Sensitivity working with young women and gender-diverse youth (ages 18-25) from a diversity of communities around the globe;
- Experience coordinating multiple stakeholders and the many moving parts of a project;
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and tight timelines;
- A team player who is willing and ready to support the team when needed; and
- Once it is safe to do so, flexibility to travel occasionally within Canada and internationally. Fora will consider barriers such as visa/PR status if necessary.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary: $48,000
- Health and Dental Benefits
- Flexible work hours and location
- Internet stipend of $40 CAD/month provided while working from home due to COVID-19
- Mobile stipend of $50/month CAD
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation per calendar year
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please fill out this form by no later than August 4, 2022 at 23:59 EDT.
Please note: Applications will be screened on a rolling basis, and shortlisted candidates will be invited to participate in the second round of the recruitment process. As such, applicants are encouraged to submit applications as soon as possible.
If you have any inquiries that are not covered in this job description, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate all applications, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.