Who We Are
We’re 18Doors, the only national Jewish non-profit laser focused on understanding, connecting with and communicating the needs of interfaith couples and families where one spouse is Jewish, and one has another spiritual or religious background. 18Doors has a website full of stories, advice and recipes; programs for interfaith couples and families; a Jewish clergy referral service; rabbinic fellowship program and professional development for Jewish leaders, professionals and organizations—all focused on helping couples and families to connect and build the Jewish life they want.
We want our team to reflect the diversity of our world, and of interfaith couples and families. We seek employees from diverse backgrounds and life experiences.
Who You Are
You are a writer and editor who cares equally that a comma goes in the right place and that your original words grab a reader’s attention. You know your way around writing and editing for digital platforms. A triple threat, you have a deep understanding of SEO, and have experience optimizing content for organic search and improving websites’ rankings on search engines like Google. You know how to find popular and relevant keywords most used across search engines.
You will have ownership of the editorial production process including managing the content calendar and shepherding incoming content through the proper channels until it is published via WordPress, all while staying on deadline. You will be a valued thought-partner to the director of content when developing new content, offering your creativity and SEO expertise. You will work closely with the audience engagement team as well, contributing your perspective to our marketing efforts. You will write clean, concise, approachable website and email copy, create emails using Autopilot and support all departments of the organization in an editorial capacity.
You have knowledge of Jewish culture and an interest in learning about Jewish interfaith couples and young families, what their needs are and how to engage them. You are a supporter of interfaith couples and families with a commitment to diversity in the Jewish community.
This position can be done remotely, though preference will be given to candidates who wish to work out of our Natick, MA, headquarters on a hybrid in-office/remote schedule.
- Manage the editorial calendar and production process ensuring that everything is on time from initial handoff of content from writers to publication on the website.
- Build new content in Word Press using SEO best practices.
- Optimize pre-existing content to increase organic search and ranking results.
- Research SEO keywords using software like SEMRush or Moz to better optimize both pre-existing content and content we haven’t created yet.
- Edit multiple pieces of content each week on Jewish subject matter without losing integrity of original writer’s voice or accuracy of information while also adhering to AP Style and 18Doors’ additional style guide.
- Pitch story ideas and write new content for website.
- Make timely changes and updates to content on website as needed, such as landing pages, staff page, etc.
- Find stock photography to accompany content and edit in Photoshop as needed.
- Write and create newsletters and other content-based emails using Autopilot.
- Assist with various other tasks including content partnerships, video projects, creating graphics using Canva, editing department-wide communications and marketing copy, and more.
Experience & Qualifications
- 3+ years professional editorial experience and 1+ year professional SEO experience
- Bachelor’s degree required. English, journalism, marketing or related focus preferred
- Excellent writing, communications and editing skills
- Tech savvy and willing to learn new software
- Experience using Adobe Suite and Outlook. Asana and Canva a plus.
- Experience creating content in a CMS; WordPress a plus.
- Experience editing photos; video editing a plus
- Deadline-oriented and works well when juggling multiple projects with long- and short-term deadlines
- Experience completing projects remotely, working independently
- Understanding of search engine algorithms and organic rankings
- Comfortable executing and analyzing search engine strategies
- Basic understanding of coding, e.g. HTML or CSS
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and Google Search Console
- Working knowledge of keyword search and SEO industry tools like SEMRush, Moz or Ahrefs a plus
- Knowledge of Jewish religion and culture
- Understanding of interfaith couples and families and their needs a plus
Apply online at https://18doors.org/career-detail-content-specialist-seo-writer/