The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is a nonprofit social enterprise with collaborative workspaces, communities and acceleration programs in Toronto and New York City. CSI supports over 1000 nonprofits and social mission organizations tackling a range of social, environmental and economic challenges. Our mission is to catalyze social innovation by amplifying the success of our members and fueling a movement for people and planet. CSI works closely with our affiliate organization, The Social Innovation Institute (SII), to make social innovation education, training and spaces inclusive and accessible.
Collaboration, entrepreneurship and systems change are embodied in everything we do. We have the passion and drive of a young tech start-up but remain rooted in the social movements of the 60’s and 70’s and bring the professionalism of the 21st century. We are wildly optimistic, committed to finding solutions that put people and planet first, while being deeply pragmatic. We are looking for someone who is recklessly committed to leveraging their enormous skills, smarts and emotional intelligence to having an impact – not just treating the symptoms, but rather getting at the root causes and actually shifting the game.
This is a rare kind of crew – practical, friendly and deeply ambitious. We are determined to change the world and we have a plan, but we need your to help make it happen! We are making social change and having fun doing it.
Your work at CSI will include affiliated brands such as our emerging national network, our programs and accelerators, as well as our new and existing partnerships. You may also be expected to consult with external organizations.
About the Role
Community Animators are the pillars of CSI culture. You are the main point of contact , and a reference for members. You create community impact through animation, rituals, projects, programs and interactions that catalyze members’ initiatives and elevate the CSI experience. Through your leadership, you support members in navigating the CSI ecosystem throughout the member lifecycle, ensuring operations are running smoothly and members get the most out of the community.
The CSI Membership Animator will leverage the power of community animation to support the move and grow our membership. Additionally this position will play a key strategy role adapting our offering to survive covid 19 impacts and rebuild our business through the power of community. Through your leadership, you support members in navigating the CSI ecosystem throughout the member lifecycle, ensuring space operations are running smoothly and members get the most out of the community all the while moving our members to recognize their own role in building the next economy and supporting the provision of next economy supports to our members. The CSI Membership Animator will enable CSI to deliver on its brand promise and facilitate the repositioning of our organization as we prove that a regenerative, equitable and prosperous economy for all is possible.
Membership Sales and Service
- Deliver informative and inspiring info sessions to interested parties including potential members, school groups, visiting delegations, etc.
- Facilitate new member orientation sessions
- Work with leasing to ensure new membership applications are processed in a timely manner
- Be the online point of contact for members, helping to resolve any issues that might arise by connecting members with the appropriate teams (space, leasing, etc.)
- Following the leadership of Community Managers, and working closely with other Animators, lead groups, member gatherings and rituals to keep the CSI community engaged and connected online and in-person
- Connect members to the programs, products and people they need to accelerate their success and amplify their impact
- Foster a culture of reciprocity within and across CSI communities through member engagement and the promotion of DECA growth and development
- Develop keen understanding of member impact areas and interests to foster inspiring and useful connections between members
- Facilitate conflict resolution and problem-solving, escalating any major concerns or issues to other teams when needed
- Find, absorb and connect members to opportunities inside and outside of CSI
Collaborate with Teams
- Integrate with the Community team to support any initiatives, projects or tasks impacting CSI communities and products, including support to Facilities, Leasing, and Sales functions
- Contribute to cross-functional projects, sharing organizational and member knowledge, combining efforts, translating members’ needs and changes to operations
- Stay up-to-date and promote CSI’s events, resources and programs within the community
- Work in synergy with other Animators in major programs and initiatives happening in physical or online spaces
Administer the Business Unit
- Ensure the smooth onboarding and offboarding of members
- Assist with the total performance of CSI Membership
- Helps to deliver on the unique value proposition for the Toronto and NYC digital products
- Perform accounts receivable functions as necessary and collect overdue membership fees
- Administer the business unit budget, maximizing the use of resources and value-added activities, getting approvals when needed
- Report on business unit metrics as required
- Report monthly on KPI’s and other metrics
As with all members of the CSI staff team, the CSI Membership Animator will be expected to:
- Connect people and ideas
- Brighten peoples’ days
- Be at the heart of an incredible community
- Build social networks
- Create a culture of openness, sharing, and caring
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- An entrepreneurial spirit and drive to succeed
- An outgoing and extroverted personality. You’ll be engaging with people online constantly
- A passion for our work, our vision and our people, aligning with CSI’s values of inclusion, diversity, accessibility and sustainability
- At least 1-3 years of work experience in community with a strong digital focus
- Growth mentality. You see setbacks as learning opportunities. You are accountable and resilient, and you bring those qualities out in other people
- Comfort using and learning digital tools like Asana, Salesforce, and Hivebrite
- Previous nonprofit experience
- Previous administrative responsibility for a business department or SBU
- Previous Community Management experience
- Previous Community Animation experience
- International experience recognized
- CSI has a comprehensive wellness plan
- Occasional remote work possible, but this role does require a physical presence in our Toronto co-working spaces on a regular basis
- If you think you have many of the qualifications, please apply! Don’t let Imposter Syndrome get you down!
What you can expect working at the Centre for Social Innovation
We are a dynamic and collaborative team invested in our mission. We are constantly seeking to improve processes and increase our impact in the community. If you like start-ups, networks, social enterprises and working in a team atmosphere, this is a place for you.
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Employment Type: Full-Time
Minimum Experience: Experienced
Compensation: 40-50k annually
We strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until at least January 31st. Apply here.
Please note that we may invite you to an interview with only a few days notice, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted. For more information about the Centre for Social Innovation visit www.socialinnovation.org.
Due to COVID 19 we anticipate these interviews will be online via Zoom or Google Hangouts. Please let us know of any specific accessibility requirements needed in advance of – we will be happy to work with you to accommodate any requests as best we can!