Are you a social entrepreneur or innovator looking to be part of a dynamic community? Do you love meeting new people and solving new problems every day? Would you exchange eight hours a week for a fantastic free workspace? The DECA program is perfect for you.
What is a DECA?
To literally spell it out, DECA stands for:
Desk (the welcome desk of one of the CSI locations)
Exchange (you volunteer in exchange for unlimited desk hours and 10 meeting room hours)
Community (you are the heart of the CSI community)
Animator (you are a connector of ideas and people)
So a “DECA” is someone who welcomes people as they arrive at a CSI building. They are the first faces people see when they arrive at a CSI location, and they set the tone for the rest of that experience.
This is an incredible opportunity for social entrepreneurs and innovators in need of workspace. It’s also great for anyone wanting to learn about social innovation by immersing themselves in it. With our over 2,500 members, this is networking on steroids. CSI is a network of networks, and if you learn how to navigate it, you’ll make connections, both professional and personal, that could change your life. Many past DECAs have gone on to start their own companies or have joined organizations working out of CSI, and a handful have even become full-time staff of CSI!
Our expectation is that you will provide exceptional customer service while efficiently and gracefully handling whatever comes your way when you’re on site. Specifically, you will:
- Run the Welcome Desk – Welcome every visitor to CSI with enthusiasm and energy. Handle phone and in person inquiries, manage and book meeting rooms, keep an eye on office supplies making sure we’re always ready for anything! Responsibilities are between 8:30AM to 4:30PM on any weekday.
- Be a Host – Be CSI’s number one fan; take visitors on mini-tours of the space, prep meeting rooms, help organize and participate in community events, ensuring all our services are offered in an appropriate and culturally competent manner to a culturally and socioeconomically diverse range of communities.
- Clean and Tidy! – What more is there to say? Maintain a spotless space ensuring everyone’s experience at CSI is awesome. That means getting your hands dirty!
- Increase Efficiency – Suggest new work practices and processes to improve CSI’s flow and facilitate our mission.
- Offer IT Support – Support members using our photocopiers, printers, audio visual equipment, phones and teleconferencing equipment.
- ??? – Who knows? What else can you do to support our operations and our community?
If the above list sounds like something you can handle, and you can do it all with sincerity, care, fun and goodwill, then we want you!
This is a work exchange, but just so you know, we expect professionalism and we want to know you’re committed.
We’re looking for a reliable six-month commitment! This role is integral to our mission and we want to get to know you too, so please only apply if you are serious about the opportunity.
CSI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and our community is committed to sharing values of diversity and inclusion. We encourage applicants from varied backgrounds including race, ethnicity, gender and gender identity, age, socio-economic status, national origin, sexual orientation, ability and religion.