As a rapidly growing organization with a budget of $2.5 million, we are seeking an experienced and motivated Development Manager to work closely with the CEO and other senior leaders in building our partnerships team. The Development Manager will play a key role in accelerating our growth, helping us to secure the funds needed to continue expanding our programs across Uganda and beyond!
This is a dynamic and exciting opportunity for someone who is motivated and passionate about international development, livelihoods and sub-Saharan Africa. We envision the Manager working in Toronto for two years, with the potential to move to a more senior development role thereafter.
In concert with the Founder and CEO, the Development Manager will help steer our efforts to raise $5+ million over the next three years by: working with our existing funders, identifying and establishing new strategic relationships, creating new streams of revenue, and developing creative strategies for individual and foundation donors. We view this role as a cornerstone to building out a talented partnerships team. This is a fantastic opportunity to get in on the ground level and help build a fast-growing social impact organization and career in international development.
Role and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute a strategy for cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major individual gift prospects.
- Maintain and grow RTV's current philanthropic portfolio of small- to mid-size foundations through strong stewardship and communication, Tracking donor interests and needs, attending meetings and following up with donors where appropriate
- Oversee all development activities including oversight of donor research, identifying new major individual gift prospects, communication activities to include proposal writing, reporting requirements, and solicitation – in partnership with the CEO and Board of Directors
- Manage and oversee records of communication, donor research and reporting requirements for current and prospective funding partners.
- Prepare briefing materials and guidance to the CEO on major individual gift prospects to maximize likelihood of successful partnership.
- Oversee all donor diligence, reporting and evaluation efforts to ensure compliance with grant-maker and sponsor agreements.
- Maintain and work to an accurate personal work-plan of scheduled fundraising activity and proposal submissions and ensure timely and accurate reporting to donors
Why work at Raising The Village?
- Make the world a better place: RTV is helping move families out of extreme poverty with some of the highest impact in the sector. Our work is significantly improving the lives among the world’s poorest.
- Be part of a rapidly scaling organization: We are growing fast, which means the next few years will be fast-paced and dynamic. You can be a core contributor to scaling this model to millions.
- Build an exciting career and exposure: As the first dedicated fundraiser in a growing organization, there will be ample opportunity for growth and new experiences for someone who is eager and shows the ability to take on more.
- Join a diverse, energetic team of individuals: We work hard, and we have fun doing it. We are looking for someone who can bring his/her own unique energy and personality to our collaborative culture.
Who is Best Suited for This Role?
- You combine passion and personal connection to our work with analytical skills and attention to detail.
- You have a strong “why” that connects you to our mission, our beneficiaries, and the African continent/the developing world.
- You bring at least five years of relevant experience.
- You have excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- You are highly computer proficient; very capable in Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- You are flexible. You are willing to do the necessary administrative and support work, and also comfortable and capable hosting donors, talking to funders, and leading strategic projects.
- You have strong organizational skills.
- You have the ability to communicate a rigorous, yet compelling story about impact whether in research reports or to international funding organizations.
- You have a dedication to social entrepreneurship, international work and livelihoods.
- You are excited and committed to contribute to RTV’s growth for at least two years.
- You work well in a casual, but highly effective team.
Examples of experience that would be useful:
- Several years working for a nonprofit, social venture, or in a fast-paced corporate environment.
- Demonstrated experience prioritizing multiple projects or deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Development or other successful donor/funder-facing experience
- History of dedicated volunteer activity and/or commitment to non-profit organizations.
- Experience working with writing communications, analyzing reports, and engaging in cross-cultural environments.
- A track record of working successfully both independently and as part of a team.