We Animals Media (WAM) is the world’s leading animal photojournalism agency, partnering with nonprofits, journalists, policy-makers, educators and individuals to tell the stories of animals used for food, fashion, entertainment, labor, religion and experimentation.
Our global network of award-winning photographers and videographers captures visuals from a broad and diverse spectrum of animal industries. Together we have created an expansive stock platform of animal photojournalism available for free to anyone looking to inspire change.
We are looking for a Development Manager to oversee the growth and stewardship of our donor base. This role will work closely with our Founder & President and Communications Director to develop campaigns that increase our monthly and one-time donations to support our animal photojournalism.
Term of employment: Part-time position at 20 hours / week, with flexible schedule.
Reports to: Founder & President
Location: Remote, candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Salary: $64,960 CAD, prorated to part-time schedule.
Start date: Position open immediately.
Application deadline: August 16, 2022, but applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply sooner than later!
As an ideal candidate for this role you are:
- Excited about WAM’s mission. You believe that telling animal stories is critical and an essential component of positive change, and can easily convince others of that too.
- Good with words. Your writing is clear, interesting, authentic and tuned to its audience.
- Detail oriented. Detailed record keeping is your jam.
- Data-driven. You’re motivated to know what works and why, and are keen to test new ideas.
- Collaborative. You believe working with others helps bring your ideas to the next level.
- Good with receiving feedback and direction. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little!
- A self-starter who will bring ideas and suggestions to the table and proactively ask for information (vs waiting for instructions or information to come to you). You’re also happy to receive specific instructions to implement something.
- A clear and timely communicator. People like communicating with you and you do so in a timely manner.
- Develop annual digital fundraising plans to increase and diversify WAM’s individual donor revenue, including monthly, one-time and major gifts
- Maintain our donor database (Kindful) and gift processing workflow, ensuring all information and preferences are up-to-date; manage Paypal and Patreon donations (including perks)
- Develop and implement strategies for increasing We Animals Allies monthly members
- Collaborate with the Communications team to draft and refine fundraising communications and other related materials, including donor onboarding initiatives, campaigns and updates to our donors; and to ensure consistency in tone and coordination in outreach calendar
- Analyze Mailchimp and revenue data to make improvements for future fundraising initiatives
- Identify and establish long-term relationships with prospective donors
- Proactively set up meetings between the Founder & President and current and prospective donors, looking ahead to travel plans and connection opportunities
- Work alongside the Founder & President to cultivate and maintain healthy relationships with existing donors
- Provide monthly reports and analyses of fundraising data to inform decision making
- Coordinate with our Fiscal sponsor for large international gifts; submit documentation
- Organize and send thank you notes where appropriate
Things you might do, depending on skill and need:
- Identify grant opportunities and coordinate the grant application process
- Draft grant applications
- A minimum of three years of experience in fundraising for a nonprofit organization, including digital fundraising
- Experience managing a donor management database (we use Kindful) to maintain donor records, manage touchpoints, create reports and analyze donor data
- Strong attention to detail and strong follow-through
- Proven ability to analyze data and use results to adjust tactics
- Experience creating effective email campaigns
- Demonstrated ability to write clear and mission-aligned copy
- Experience corresponding directly with donors; ability to write friendly emails that demonstrate WAM’s values of integrity and generosity
- Experience working with MailChimp
- Strong verbal and written English communication skills
- Digital literacy; ability to learn new digital tools quickly
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work remotely
- Self-motivated and comfortable working in your role independently and in collaboration with the Communications team
- Ability to travel once or twice per year for conferences and team retreats
Perks of working with us:
- Flexible hours;
- Remote work;
- Three weeks paid vacation;
- Opportunities for advancement;
- Paid training opportunities and professional development allowance;
- A soon-to-be-implemented benefits package and remote work stipend;
- A friendly, funny, talented and caring team.
More about us
We are a federally incorporated non-profit based in Toronto, Canada. We are a small, fully remote team distributed across different time zones. We offer a flexible working schedule, professional development opportunities, and operate with plenty of autonomy in our roles to support varied needs and working styles. Visit our website weanimalsmedia.org.
How to apply
If you’d like to apply for this position, please complete this form and upload your resume. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis so we encourage you to apply sooner than later! Applications will no longer be reviewed after August 16, 2022.
Note: if you meet most, but not all, requirements and still think you would be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply and let us know how we could support you. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially those from under-represented backgrounds. We value diversity and believe that work on behalf of animals benefits greatly from collaborating with people from all backgrounds and identities.
Subject to minor adjustments.
- Application form
- Test task (~2-3 hours)
- Interview 1 (1.5 hours)
- (possible) Interview 2 (1 hour)
- Reference check