Digital Main Street is a program developed in
partnership by the City of Toronto and the Toronto Association of Business
Improvement Areas (TABIA). Digital Main Street supports the growth of main
street businesses by making the adoption of digital tools and technologies
easy. The program has been profiled in the media by Retail-Insider, The Globe
and Mail, the Toronto Star, BetaKit, Profit Guide and Notable.
There are four components to the Digital Main
Street program which include:
1. Digital Main Street platform
main street businesses by providing them with a free digital assessment that
recommends digital tools and technologies that can help them reach their goals,
guides them on how to get started, along with connections to trusted vendors,
product offerings and deals.
2. The Digital Service Squad (a ‘geek squad’ for Main Street) that helps
businesses on-board to the platform and activate easy-to-use free tools to get
them started on their digital journey.
3. DMS Academy that supports the learning needs of businesses through
workshops that tackle topics relevant to main street businesses.
4. DMS Lab that enables early-stage start-ups to pilot their
products/services with main street businesses in a BIA in Toronto.
Digital Main Street is currently seeking
outgoing, enthusiastic, qualified candidates for the position of Digital
Service Squad – Team Member. This is
a unique opportunity to support the growth of one of Toronto’s most innovative
economic development programs. The Digital Main Street program is the first of
its kind globally and has experienced excellent traction since its launch in
As a member of the Digital Service Squad,
you will be a key contributor to the success of the platform and the growth of
the program. During COVID-19, the Digital Service Squad is assigned to work
remotely with local stores in Toronto and in the future will be required to
travel independently across Toronto.
The focus of the role is to work one-on-one
with main street businesses and provide the following services:
1. On-boarding Assistance
• Conduct pre-business digital audit to best understand
the BIA/neighbourhood and businesses.
• Working with the BIA Co-ordinator to set
digital appointments to onboard main street businesses to the Digital Main
Walk-through the on-boarding survey with the business owner and use
appreciative inquiry methods to best understand their business goals and how
digital tools/technology can assist them in meeting their goals.
• Assist the business in staying in touch
with Digital Main Street by subscribing to the e-newsletter and social
2. Advisory Services
• Once the business has been on-boarded to the Digital
Main Street platform, the Team Member will walk through the Digital Assessment
and Recommendations with the business owner.
• The Team Member will assist the business owner in
identifying their first priorities and the first digital tools/technology they
want to activate.
• The Team Member will also review vendor
recommendations made through the platform and lead the business owner to
relevant deals/discounts on the platform.
3. Activation/Implementation Services
The Team Member will activate and implement free, easy-to-use digital tools and
technologies that businesses would like to use (i.e.: Building a Shopify store
using the extended 30 day free trial, activating social media accounts, etc.).
• The Team Member may also provide some
resources (articles, links, how-to guides) available through secondary sources
that can help the business owner learn more about a particular tool that has
been activated, or subject matter of interest.
4. Reporting and Feedback
Team Members must complete their field notes and report on a weekly basis to
the Digital Main Street Program Co-ordinator and Program Manager.
Team Members must attend Team Meetings as set out by the Program Manager.
• Halfway through the employment term, an
interim performance evaluation will occur to ensure fit.
The Team Member may be required to attend webinars,
workshops and events related to Digital Main Street. The purpose of which is to
communicate the benefits of the program to business owners and to on-board them
to the platform. There may be other duties, as required, that will be discussed
with the Team Member should they arise.
• Possess strong communications skills (written and
• Possess strong interpersonal and relationship
building/relationship management skills.
• Possess excellent organizational and time management
• Have experience in a sales role and/or marketing
• Eventually be able to travel and work independently in
various BIAs in Toronto.
• Be familiar with digital technologies for
small business (e.g.: web, social media, e-commerce, etc.),
• Be able to use basic software and collaboration tools
such as Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point) and Slack.
• Previous experience with online and offline marketing
is considered a strong asset.
• Previous experience working with small
businesses in BIAs is considered an asset.
submit your resume to email@example.com and write on the subject “ Toronto-
Digital Service Squad – 2022”