Director of Communications + Strategic Engagement
TO APPLY: Send a resume, cover letter, and 2 references
We thank everyone for applying but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Founded in 2004, Apathy is Boring is a national, youth-led non-partisan, charitable organization that supports and educates youth to be active and contributing citizens in Canada’s democracy.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications and Strategic Engagement is responsible for leading Apathy is Boring’s communications department, including ensuring the delivery of all associated tasks and management of related budgets. They are tasked with strategically directing and overseeing Apathy is Boring’s internal and external communications as well as the quality and delivery of communications initiatives for all Apathy is Boring programs and initiatives including strategic partnerships and media.
The Director of Communications and Strategic Engagement will oversee all Communications Department activities, directly supervising the Communications Manager and Youth Friendly Lead. The Director of Communications and Strategic Engagement is responsible for ensuring that all grant and contract deliverables are met as well as organizational goals and objectives related to communications, public relations, and partnerships.
They will be expected to provide strategic guidance, support, and counsel to other members of the Leadership team, the Executive Director and, on occasion, the Board of Directors, regarding the strategic alignment of initiatives, partnerships, and projects with Apathy is Boring’s communications goals, reputation, values, and Brand.
Communications and Public Relations Strategy
• With support from the Executive Director, develop and direct the implementation of an
annual communications strategy including goals and objectives for the year with a view
on delivering impact towards AisB’s mission as well as to increase brand awareness and
recognition for the organisation.
• Ensure the quality, alignment, and delivery of strategic communications and content for
Youth Friendly including presentations, reports, workshops, website content, and
traditional and social media.
• Direct and oversee the implementation of all communications-related deliverables from
grants, funders, sponsors, partners, and contracts.
• Direct and ensure the quality, alignment, and delivery of all communications initiatives
and public-facing materials, including newsletters, social media content, annual reports,
• Ensure the regular maintenance and of all Apathy is Boring website content and design,
and brand messaging.
• Oversee, in collaboration with the Executive Director, the management of traditional
media strategy including talking points, messaging, campaign development, and public
Department Management & HR
• Ensure the achievement of expected timelines and deliverables, and the efficient use of
human and practical resources.
• Collaborate and communicate with Leadership team related to all Communications
activities to ensure cross-departmental alignment.
• Oversee the Communications budget and ensure all financial spending goals are met.
• Participate in quarterly Finance updates with the Director of Finance and the Executive
• Take part in weekly check-ins with the Executive Director.
• Manage, support and evaluate direct reports (Communications Manager and Youth
Friendly Lead) and provide mentorship and training to the Communications team.
• With support from the Finance and Operations department, ensure all HR procedures and
policies are followed within the department.
• Oversee Communications staff
• Participate in all-staff meetings and all leadership meetings.
• Participate in team-building activities and team-wide training.
Strategic Partnerships and Engagement
• Develop and hold relationships with sponsors, brands and corporate partners, partner
organizations, and clients.
• Support the development of sponsorship proposals, opportunities, and pitches.
• Oversee Outreach and Engagement strategy for program recruitment and network
• Oversee and ensure quality and strategic alignment of all Apathy is Boring events.
• Ensure consistent communication through email, Slack, and other communication channels.
• Manage meetings, schedule and calendar.
• Coordinate travel and logistics (as needed).
• Track hours and overtime.
QUALIFICATIONS AND CRITICAL SKILLS
Education and Experience
• University degree in Marketing, Communications or Business considered an asset
• 3-5 years of specific communications leadership experience, ideally within a non-profit, community, or social responsibility environment.
Skills and Abilities
• A proven strategic and creative planner with the ability to develop and implement a plan from concept to completion
• Extremely strong and credible communicator; bilingual in both official languages (English and French – written and verbal)
• Strong understanding of the organization’s needs, client needs and cultural and financial realities of a not-for-profit and services environment
• Adaptable, coachable, open to feedback and a high level of self awareness
• A proven ability to implement multilingual communications strategies for national organizations that breakthrough and demonstrate a strong knowledge of both traditional and non-traditional media
• Strong technical skills, including written and editing ability – must be able to draft and edit key messages, press releases, briefing notes, etc.
• Understands the Canadian regional and cultural differences and how to address these differences through communications
• Strong collaboration skills and ability to adapt to changing environments
• Demonstrates a collaborative leadership approach; counts consensus building as a strength
• A track record of building and inspiring a high-performance team
• Demonstrates and embodies the AisB values of Diversity, Accountability, Excellence, Fun, Respect
SCHEDULE: 10am – 5:30pm
POSITION TYPE: Full time (37.5 hours a week)