Job Title: Director of Communications
Reporting to: CEO
Location: Remote but working hours must include 10 to 4pm EST and the ability to come to Toronto quarterly. Option to work from our office if local to Toronto.
Employment Type: full-time, permanent
Work hours/days: full-time 37.5h/week, Mon-Fri
Compensation: $87,000-$99,000 annually, commensurate with experience, plus benefits after probation period.
Estimated Start Date: October 2022
About SI Canada
SI Canada is a national charity that supports a network of social innovators: people and organizations with a focus on social and environmental change. We are a national initiative founded by seven social innovation organizations: Radius (BC), ABSI Connect (AB), Social Enterprise Centre (MB), CSI (ON), La MIS (QC), Inspiring Communities (Atl) and Diane Roussin from the Boldness Project providing Indigenous leadership. SI Canada collaborates with these and other organizations across the country with the goal of strengthening the social innovation ecosystem’s capacity to address the root causes of systems-level problems in Canada. We work to connect innovators with the resources and opportunities they need to solve complex problems and create transformative change.
About the Role
As the Director of Communications, you will be responsible for creating, implementing and evaluating communications, brand, and engagement strategies that advance the strategic priorities for SI Canada.
You will serve as a bridge between the strategic direction and the adherence to the brand, establishing a content strategy, and prioritizing communication initiatives across a suite of communications platforms and marketing channels. You are also responsible for managing the day-to-day communications and marketing needs of SI Canada’s programs and partners, ensuring proactive and responsive communications support.
In this role you will:
Strategic Direction and Internal Communications
- Develop and manage the annual Communications Plan and Content Strategy that helps deliver the strategic priorities and oversee its implementation across all SI Canada programs and initiatives, channels, and collateral
- Design, develop, and implement internal communication strategies for the organization
- Track and report on the progress of these strategies producing regular reports for the Senior Leadership Team/ or the Chief Executive and Board of Directors.
Manage Marketing Functions
- Responsible for planning, directing, and evaluating the design and development of SI Canada’s marketing channels and collateral to ensure successful programming and positioning and knowledge mobilizations goals.
- SI Canada website
- Social media channels
- Overseeing the creation, positioning and marketing activities to support fundraising partnership development
- Other corporate materials as required including annual reports and event materials
Manage External Communications and Thought Leadership Functions
- Responsible for planning, directing, and evaluating the design and development of SI Canada’s communications including:
- Working with the CEO and Board of Directors to designing and implementing SI Canada’s thought leadership strategy/Knowledge mobilization/Positioning
- Contributing to knowledge dissemination products: writing blog posts; reports; press releases; resources, etc.
- Work with the Programming team to design communications and marketing strategies for successful implementation of projects and initiatives
Public and Government Relations
- Working with the CEO, Board of Directors and the SLT, and as part of the communications strategy, design and implement a PR/GR strategy, and manage day-to-day media relations and media requests for brand and corporate issues
- Build relationships with key media contacts and identify opportunities to proactively pitch brand and corporate stories through social media outlets as appropriate
- Contribute to government relationship building and advocacy, draft press releases, and engage with senior government officials and other government representatives for visits/tours and receptions when needed
- Oversee, co-design and promote SI Canada’s external-facing events
- Act as communications lead for signature events that advance SI Canada’s strategic positioning, representing the organization as needed.
Project Management and Evaluation
- Oversee the planning and management of production schedules, and assure production deadlines are met
- Metrics & Reporting
- Develop and track metrics and success criteria
- Create reports for staff and board on a monthly and quarterly basis.
- Develop and monitor the communications-related budget within communications and marketing needs. Ensure financial management controls and practices are in place and implemented.
- Ensure the efficient and effective use of fiscal and physical resources across the portfolio of responsibilities through coordination and consolidation of budgets
- Information & Data Architecture
- Organize and maintain the set up of and access to Comms material
- Liaise as a horizontal across the organization with the leadership team
- Provide leadership and guidance to staff reporting to you:
- Set employee goals, objectives & timelines
- Manage performances
- Identify training and development needs
- Manage relationships with SI Canada’s communications vendors and freelancers
- The ideal candidate has 10 years of experience in communications, marketing, and media relations
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory / people management experience
- Degree or post-graduate diploma in communications, marketing, journalism, or comparable experience
- Superior writing, grammar, and editing skills to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences
- Proven track records of delivering impactful activities/campaigns
- Experience driving information sharing in digital channels, including social media
- Superior project management, organizational and budget management skills
- Strong relationship management skills
- Results driven; motivated by a high sense of performance excellence and urgency
- Proven ability to collaborate, and work well with a range of people across the organization
- Experience with CRM software
- Knowledge of and experience in one or more of the areas of Social Innovation, Social Finance, Philanthropy, Diversity and Inclusion, or related fields.
These would be considered bonus:
- Bilingual is an asset (French/English)
- Experience in social impact area is an asset
Want to apply but aren’t sure you have all of the relevant knowledge and experience? If you’re close, don’t hesitate, do it! Your unique skill set may be exactly what we need.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility
Please let us know of any specific requirements needed before your interviews – we will be happy to work with you on any accommodation requests.
We advocate for the presence and contributions of all people regardless of ability, age, cultural background, education, ethnic origin, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, language, marital status, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliations, perspective, race, religion, sexual orientation, sexuality, family status, socioeconomic status, or other such considerations, and intersectionalities therein.
We recognize international experience and strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities to apply!
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until September 19th, 2022. Please click the “I’m interested” button to submit your full application including your resume and cover letter as soon as you are interested.
The (Typical) Process
Every job at SI Canada is unique, but the process will look something like this:
You send in your resume and cover letter to our recruiting system
A first short interview, approximately 15-20 minutes
Depending on the role and the number of applicants, we may send you ‘homework’ to help showcase your skills
A 45 minute to 1.5 hour interview with 2-3 staff members
Occasionally a third interview is needed – mostly for senior positions
We’ll chat with 2-3 of your past employers and coworkers to learn more about you and your working style
We reach out to our top candidate with an offer of employment
We know how difficult applying for jobs can be so we try, to the best of our ability, to inform candidates of our decisions via e-mail and/or phone call in a timely manner. Bear with us as this may take a few weeks depending on the position!
We communicate with applicants using our HR software system – sometimes emails get lost. Be sure to check your SPAM folder regularly after applying.
For more information about Social Innovation Canada, visit our website: sicanada.org