Holy Blossom Temple (HBT), Toronto’s first synagogue, is the leading Canadian Reform Jewish congregation with a rich history of responding to both tradition and modernity in our religious and spiritual expression. We pursue meaningful opportunities for personal growth and family fulfillment at every stage of life through belonging, learning, prayer and ritual, and acts of service for our congregation and community, our city and country, the Reform movement, Israel and all the world. Holy Blossom Temple is the largest Reform Jewish congregation in Canada, with over 5,000 members.
These are exciting times for Holy Blossom as we have just completed the first phase of the largest synagogue renewal project in Canadian history. Our vibrant professional staff, compassionate and energetic clergy and beautiful space provide inspiration to all who enter our doors.
We are looking for a dynamic, results oriented, strategic thinker to be our next Executive Director. The ideal candidate will be a skilled and innovative professional who excels in building positive partnerships and relationships within the Temple and community and will lead Holy Blossom Temple forward in the next stage of our development.
As an ideal candidate, you are a proven executive with strong leadership skills and management experience; you are adept at navigating a complex governance structure and stakeholder groups; and motivated by making an impact and seeing the outcome of your work. The Executive Director is highly visible within the Temple and has the ability to build trust, credibility and respect with staff and stakeholders.
The President, the Senior Rabbi, and the Executive Director function as a collaborative leadership team that work jointly to create a vision and drive the future direction of Holy Blossom Temple. You are a charismatic leader who develops and mentors a team of professionals at a seminal crossroad in our history, and works with the support of a loyal group of qualified volunteers and lay leaders.
The Executive Director serves as the chief administrative officer of the congregation and is one of the key professionals, responsible for the operation of the Temple and the achievement of its mission. He/she is responsible for the implementation of the policies of the Board of Directors, in accordance with the Temple’s By-laws, and provides the day-to-day management of the Temple, fiscal and administrative affairs and its physical plant. The Executive Director supervises the Director of Finance, Director of Facilities, Director of Education, Director of Community Engagement, Director of Communications and Marketing, Director of Development and Office Manager.
The Executive Director serves as an ex-officio member of the Board of Directors and the Holy Blossom Temple Foundation.
Key Qualifications and Competencies:
• Excellent communication ability and willingness to work with a large, diverse group of stakeholders;
• Charismatic leadership, decision-making and coaching skills, particularly the ability to train and mentor professionals;
• Able to work both independently and in a group dynamic and keep senior colleagues informed;
• Leadership experience in not-for-profit setting and knowledge of Jewish cultures and values an asset;
• Recognized as an innovator; an entrepreneurial spirit with an appetite for positive change;
• Financial acumen and budgeting; strategic mindset; judgment; discretion; and tact.
What We Offer:
• The opportunity to lead Canada’s foremost Reform Jewish Congregation at an important moment in its 160+ years’ history;
• The opportunity to work with a highly-motivated and engaged group of professionals, volunteers, and congregation-led leadership;
• Competitive compensation and benefits;
• Holy Blossom Temple membership and admission to the Early Childhood Education program.