NOW HIRING: FINANCE OFFICER
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MONDAY, JANUARY 16, 2023 at 12 PM (NOON) EASTERN TIME
ANTICIPATED START DATE: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 13, 2023
HYBRID POSITION IN TORONTO WITH FLEXIBLE SCHEDULING AVAILABLE
FULL-TIME COMPENSATION RANGE: $55,000 – $65,000
WHO IS STEPS PUBLIC ART?
STEPS envisions a world where artists and communities co-create meaningful, welcoming, and safe public spaces. We are a Canada Revenue Agency registered charity that engages and empowers artists and communities to transform public spaces into vibrant places. Our team is composed of high-performing, highly ethical creative entrepreneurial innovators who truly care about their communities. For more information visit: www.stepspublicart.org
Our staff benefit from Extensive time-off, such as for National Day of Truth & Reconciliation, birthdays, float days for cultural holidays that are not Ontario statutory holidays; as well as lieu time policies and a holiday closure period. Staff are supported in their professional development through a combination of all staff and targeted individual development opportunities including but not limited to training, mentorship, and external conference/event participation. Our open-concept waterfront office has natural light and ample room for physical distancing. Flexible working arrangement policies provide staff with remote working as well as alternative scheduling options.
Our main office is based in T’karonto, the Ancestral Wendat territory and the shared territory of the Anishinaabeg and the Haudenosaunee, covered by The Dish With One Spoon treaty, and later, Treaty 13 signed with the Mississaugas of the Credit, and the Williams Treaties signed with multiple Mississaugas and Chippewa bands. STEPS is committed to cultivating safe spaces for Indigenous voices to be heard. We invest in ongoing staff and Board learning related to equity, inclusion, and accessibility topics; supports such as staff-led equity groups, among which include a BIPOC group as well as a Disability and Chronic Illness group to help foster an accessible and accommodating work environment for our team and stakeholders.
WHO ARE YOU?
We are seeking an energetic and organized problem solver with a passion for systems design and keeping things orderly. Our ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced and dynamic team. You love brainstorming, problem-solving, and connecting with people. You’re often told by coworkers that they know something will get done if it gets passed to you, and you are not afraid to ask for support or clarification if needed.
You have experience jumping in and putting processes in place that make an improvement on what has been built while being respectful of the work that has come before. You relish making sense of things, anticipating problems, and fixing them. You’re good at keeping information confidential. You thrive on each day being different and presenting new opportunities and challenges. If you are organized with strong attention to detail, not easy to overwhelm, and have a positive attitude that makes people want to be your teammate, we are looking forward to meeting you!
You will maintain ledgers; make bank deposits; process accounts payable and receive payments through our cloud-based payments and accounting software; prepare payroll; create financial and accounting reports; reconcile bank and credit card statements; keep financial records to assist the organization in keeping up-to-date financial documentation throughout the year using both electronic and paper filing systems as appropriate. You will be essential in reviewing, developing, and implementing financial systems and processes that enhance efficiency and standardize our financial operating procedures so that our growing team and activities can function with ease.
Most of the role’s responsibilities can be performed virtually through the use of cloud-based technology and subscription services, however, there are some tasks that will require the incumbent to travel to the STEPS office in downtown Toronto, financial institutions, or other locations.
This is proposed as a .8FTE position, with a salary commensurate. We are open to alternate Full-Time Equivalents (FTEs), provided that core functions can be achieved successfully. The stated salary range is for 1 Full-Time Equivalent.
STEPS encourages applications from all qualified candidates who are legally able to work in Canada that represent the full diversity of communities in Canada, including complexities of intersecting identities such as ability, age, class, gender, race, and sexual orientation. We are particularly interested in receiving applications from equity-deserving communities, including those who identify as: Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit, and Métis), Black, a person of colour, newcomer, Disabled, and/or LGBTQQIP2SAA+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning, intersex, pansexual, two-spirit, asexual, allies, along with additional sexual orientations and gender identities).
- Enter all monthly transactions including AR, AP, deposits, journal entries, etc. using Quickbooks Online Advanced
- Prepare/post accounts receivable invoices from a variety of sources (including grants, earned revenue, sponsorships and donations)
- Post cash receipts
- Post supplier invoices and process supplier payments through Plooto E-Payment System
- Process biweekly payroll through Ceridian
- Review annual T4s and T4 summaries
- Prepare required annual T4As for honorariums
- Prepare any required government remittances, such WSIB
- Prepare HST Rebate Applications twice a year
- Prepare wage subsidy claims to funders for subsidized employees
- Reconcile bank and credit card monthly and review/reconcile other balance sheets (as required)
- Prepare quarterly reports for the Board as well as requested contextual analysis for presentation
- Assist with the preparation of the annual budget and tracking against it
- Assist with the preparation of the T3010
- General maintenance of the general ledger, reviewing books for accuracy monthly
- Preparing year-end audit-ready books, as well as facilitating the annual audit
- Prepare annual accrual-based working papers for your Auditors
- Applying administrative and financial controls
- Maintaining an orderly filing system for source documents
- Tracking fundraising proposals and client estimates under review through Salesforce, and recording payments against them the Quickbooks as appropriate
- Identifying opportunities for using technological solutions that support evolving finance procedures, such as Quickbooks built-in receipt submission tools for expense claims and credit cards to reduce administrative bottlenecks and volume of communication over financial processes
- Ensuring full team understanding of processes and procedures through orientation and training
- Leveraging our accounting system effectively to quote, bill, follow up and receive payments in an efficient manner to minimize aging receivables
- Supporting executive leadership in analyzing reports to advise in operational decisions
- Supporting management in the preparation of grant budgets and financial reports drawing in historical data
- Supporting finance-oriented human resources functions, including but not limited to the preparation and filing of employment agreements and amendments, as well as supporting management in facilitating annual performance and compensation review cycles
- Providing clerical and administrative support related to finance and other operational functions as needed; and
- Supporting management and Board to improve business processes
WE THINK IT’S IMPORTANT THAT YOU HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Minimum 4 years of bookkeeping experience, ideally in the charitable/non-profit sector
- Comfortable with all aspects of bookkeeping
- Fluent with Quickbooks Online Advanced, comfortable with complex budgets and class tracking system
- Proficient with Ceridian or other third-party payroll systems
- Familiar with Canadian charitable bookkeeping requirements, including HST Rebates, payroll, and government remittances
- Comfortable with the Microsoft Office Suite, including manipulating reports exported from Quickbooks into Excel, as well as Google Workspace
- A high degree of comfort using cloud-based technology and subscription services
- Facilitating systems efficiency
- Capable of communicating clearly and effectively with colleagues and partners
- Comfortable with both independent work and working alongside management
- Adaptable to change–ours is a fast-paced, constantly evolving work environment; and
- Available at minimum 4 days per week (minimum FTE that we can consider for this role)
We invite qualified applicants to apply via this online portal by no later than Monday, January 16 at 12 pm NOON Eastern Time. If you require accommodations to apply for this opportunity, please send an email by Monday, January 9, 2023, with “STEPS Finance Officer Accommodations” in the subject line to email@example.com. Applications will not be accepted by email. While we appreciate the interest of all applicants, we can only communicate with those shortlisted for an interview.
Interviews are anticipated to take place the week of January 23, 2023, making use of video conferencing. It is anticipated that any second-round interviews will take place the week of January 30, 2023. The anticipated start date is Monday, February 16, 2023.