Job Title: Marketing and Communications Specialist
Reporting to: Marketing and Communications Manager
Location: CSI Toronto locations
Employment Type: Full Time Permanent
Work hours: Regular business hours, with occasional after hours
Compensation: $65,000-$70,000 Annually Plus Benefits
The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is a nonprofit social enterprise based in Toronto with collaborative workspaces, communities and national acceleration programs. CSI supports over 1,000 nonprofits and social mission organizations tackling a range of social, environmental and economic challenges. Our mission is to catalyze social innovation by amplifying the success of our members and fueling a movement for people and the planet.
Collaboration, entrepreneurship and systems change are embodied in everything we do. We have the passion and drive of a young tech start-up but remain rooted in the social movements of the 60’s and 70’s and bring the professionalism of the 21st century. We are wildly optimistic, committed to finding solutions that put people and the planet first, while being deeply pragmatic. We are looking for someone who is committed to leveraging their skills, smarts and emotional intelligence to make an impact on our world.
About the role
The Marketing and Communications Specialist is responsible for CSI’s brand and presence in the world. In this position, you’re an integral part of the CSI team and play a big role in how we recruit, engage with, support and amplify our members. Do you love meeting new, interesting people who are trying to change the world? Do you have a way with words and a creative streak? Do you enjoy collaborating with others to highlight social change? Most of all, does being part of an innovative community of changemakers inspire you to believe a better world is possible?
Reporting to the Marketing and Communications Manager, you’ll work closely with the full CSI team (and CSI Members) to project CSI’s presence into the world, online, and in-person. You’ll be entrepreneurial, monitoring the world of impact work, and looking for ways to engage. You’ll create products, content and world-class communications by taking creative ownership of CSI’s social media channels, our weekly newsletter, and in-space communications. You’ll be leading marketing activities to strengthen our brand, memberships, event registrations, and programs with world changing people and organizations in Toronto and across Canada. You’ll be creating graphics and drafting creative copy regularly. You’ll take photos and videos at CSI events to use in social content. Most importantly, you’ll be putting your skills to use in supporting the hundreds of CSI members who are changing the world – and yes, that means YOU are changing the world, too!
Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Working with the Growth team, identify opportunities to connect the world to CSI’s people, programs and products by designing strategic campaigns that drive organizational objectives
- Working with the Community Teams inside the buildings, create communications that reflect CSI’s brand and experience principles
- Identify opportunities for new products and services to meet emergent needs in the impact sector, positioning CSI as the place where impact entrepreneurs succeed
Content Creation and Engagement
- Work with Communications team to create engaging content for our digital channels and communicate using appropriate brand guidelines
- Work with Communications team to assemble and send CSI’s weekly email newsletter, CSI Network News (CNN)
- Maintain database and curate member content for CNN
SEO and SEM
- Maintain Google business profiles
- Support SEO practices by updating existing web pages and supporting blogs
- Monitor and improve Google Ads performance
- Create graphics and videos for use on social media, email newsletters, in our buildings, and in print and digital ads
- Photography and content creation at in-person events when necessary
- Tell the member stories that matter amplifying their success
- Writing, both short and long form, for various events, publications, and articles as needed
- Support with internal and member communications, as needed
- Design and run marketing successful campaigns to support areas such as: member and program recruitment, event registration, and newsletter subscribers
- With the support of the Growth Team, design and adapt products that meet the emerging needs of the sector
- Perform market analysis on prices to ensure CSI is competitive
- Track metrics across across our channels and engagement and adapt as necessary to maximize effectiveness
- 4+ years of experience in digital marketing and communications
- Familiar with social media platforms for businesses, including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Threads, LinkedIn, and TikTok
- Familiar with social media advertising platforms; Meta, LinkedIn, and TikTok ad experience an asset
- Proficient with social media management software; Sprout Social an asset
- Proficient with email marketing software; Mailchimp an asset
- Experience with graphic design tools, such as Canva or Adobe
- Comfortable with Google Analytics & Google Ads
- Proficient in Google Suite
- Some experience with WordPress (content management software) an asset
- Some experience with video editing tools an asset
- Exceptional ability to communicate and effectively interact with people across cultures, ranges of ability, genders, ethnicities and races
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) including the ability to craft detailed and precise communications
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards, including AODA & WCAG, and CASL compliance
- Ability to manage competing priorities and tight deadlines
- Ability to take direction, show initiative, and execute on ideas with excellent organizational abilities, attention to detail and follow through
- Ability to work full-time, including some flexible work hours in the evenings for events
- Exceptional people skills with ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Service or hospitality experience and/or customer service experience are assets
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accessibility
Please let us know of any specific requirements needed before your interview and in advance of visiting any of our spaces – we will be happy to work with you on any accommodation requests. We advocate for the presence and contributions of all people regardless of ability, age, cultural background, education, ethnic origin, gender expression, gender identity, immigration status, language, marital status, nationality, physical appearance, political affiliations, perspective, race, religion, sexual orientation, sexuality, family status, socioeconomic status, or other such considerations, and intersectionalities therein. We recognize international experience and strongly encourage applications from diverse backgrounds and communities to apply!
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted until Wednesday, January 31st. Please submit your full application here, including your resume and cover letter outlining specific needs for this role as soon as you are interested.
Here’s how it works:
- You apply. Yay!
- After reviewing applications, we will invite select candidates to an optional group info session. This will not be used for us to assess you; rather, it’s an opportunity for you to assess us and ask questions about the role before moving forward with the hiring process.
- We’ll send you a brief ‘homework’ assignment to help us gauge your skills. This shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes of your time!
- After reviewing your assignments, we will invite select candidates to a virtual interview.
- We will invite select candidates to a follow up, in person interview.
We know how difficult applying for jobs can be so we try, to the best of our ability, to inform candidates of our decisions via e-mail and/or phone call in a timely manner. Bear with us as this may take a few weeks depending on the position. We communicate with applicants using our HR software system – sometimes emails get lost. Be sure to check your SPAM folder regularly after applying.
For more information about CSI, visit our website: socialinnovation.org