Job Title: Payroll and Finance Coordinator
Organization: Action Against Hunger / Action contre la Faim – Canada
Report To: Financial Analysis and Reporting Manager
Location: Toronto, Ontario (Hybrid)
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Start Date: March 2023
Work Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Salary: CAD 50K – 55K per annum
ABOUT ACTION AGAINST HUNGER
Founded in 1979, Action Against Hunger is a global humanitarian organization that takes decisive action against the causes and effects of hunger. Our mission is to save the lives of severely malnourished children while helping communities become self-sufficient. Recognized as a world leader in the fight against malnutrition, Action Against Hunger has pursued its vision of a world without hunger for almost four decades, combating hunger in emergency situations of conflict, natural disaster, and chronic food insecurity. With more than 8,000 staff in nearly 50 countries, our programs in nutrition, food security, livelihoods, water, sanitation, and hygiene, reach more than 20 million people each year.
ABOUT ACTION AGAINST HUNGER CANADA
With an annual Budget of $35million and staff strength of nearly 40 people, Action Against Hunger Canada (est. in 2006) works tirelessly in the fight against hunger globally through our specialized nutrition technical programs that build the knowledge and skills of nutrition and public health professionals worldwide for the detection, treatment and prevention of malnutrition. We are a leading recipient of funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC) and advocate for changes to policy and practice in support of better nutrition and increased food security. Our collaborative programmatic model brings together communities, civil society, government, and the international assistance community to work jointly on fundamental public health issues that contribute to hunger in this world.
Our leading-edge programs have been built on the foundations of technical excellence, rigor and innovative practice over many years. We are experts in nutrition information systems, emergency nutrition and gender equality. Action Against Hunger Canada plays a hosting role to two significant global programs (SMART and the Global Nutrition Cluster Technical Alliance’s Support Team) that provide guidance, tools and training in the areas of nutrition data collection and analysis and best practices for emergency nutrition service delivery for hundreds of Governments, civil society organizations and international organizations worldwide. Our programs support the capacity of public health professionals who deliver lifesaving and long-term initiatives in communities globally. We also work towards sustainable transformative health system strengthening in all our efforts to ensure a long- lasting impact together with our partners, including members of the Humanitarian Coalition. As a member of the Action Against Hunger International Network, we also provide a range of technical support for the mainstreaming of gender equality across our programs and operations world-wide. Our commitments towards a gender transformative approach are integrated in our core health programming and our technical support to our International Network.
To learn more about Action Against Hunger, visit our website at www.actionagainsthunger.ca
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Payroll and Finance Coordinator is responsible for coordinating and administering the organization’s Payroll function as well as assisting finance managers with administering the donor reporting activities.
Bi-Weekly Canadian Payroll
- Review Timesheets submitted via the ERP.
- Process changes communicated by HR for the bi-weekly Canadian payroll.
- Submit payroll transactions to the bank for payments to employees via EFT.
- Process and submit employee benefit payments to the bank for payments to vendors.
- Process and submit statutory deductions required by law.
Monthly Overseas Payroll
- Review Timesheets submitted via the ERP.
- Process changes communicated by HR for the monthly overseas payroll.
- Submit monthly payroll to the bank for wire or ACH remittances to the overseas staff.
- Process and submit benefit payments of the overseas staff.
Financial Reporting & Other Duties
- Assist Financial Analysis and Reporting Manager with internal reporting functions as required.
- Assist Finance and Donor Compliance Managers with external donor reporting functions as required.
- Prepare year-end Payroll Accruals for year-end book closure.
- Reconcile payroll General Ledger control accounts.
- Assist with processing Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable transactions.
- Assist with year-end and donor audits by providing all the necessary supporting documents and reports as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a relevant discipline.
- Payroll Designation or actively pursuing.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in payroll and accounting.
- Solid knowledge of Electronic Financial Systems (ERP background would be an asset)
- Strong knowledge of MS Office applications, specifically Excel and Word.
- Experience working with Institutional Donors is an asset.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER ATTRIBUTES
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to build strong relationship within a team.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving ability.
- Proven ability to take initiatives and be proactive in a fast-paced environment.
- Interest in international humanitarian work.
- Required to be seated whilst completing computer and desk-based tasks for long periods.
- Occasional requirement to lift to 10 kg (this extends to file boxes, paper reams and office equipment).
- Vacation: 1-2 years: 3 weeks, 2-4 years: 4 weeks, 5+ years: 5 weeks
- Comprehensive Health Insurance Plan (after 3 months of employment)
- Retirement Savings Plan (after 1 year of employment)
- 13 paid holidays per year
- Paid time off (Personal and Sick Days)
Action Against Hunger Canada is committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive workplace. Therefore, we actively encourage applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ community, persons with disabilities and other equity-deserving groups. If you are invited to continue the selection process, please notify our human resources representative of any accommodation or special measures that you may require.
Action Against Hunger Canada is committed to promoting the well-being of people around the world and focuses its efforts on saving lives through the elimination of hunger. To that end, we uphold the principles of Independence, Neutrality, Non-discrimination, Free and Direct Access to assistance, Professionalism, and Transparency in all our operations. We have ZERO TOLERANCE towards any behavior violating our Code of Conduct, including workplace violence, harassment, sexual harassment, any form of exploitation or abuse, corruption, fraud, and any behavior lacking integrity.
Action Against Hunger Canada is committed to safeguarding children and adults in the communities where we work. Our safeguarding commitment is to ensure that children and adults are protected from both deliberate and unintentional harm or abuse caused by Action Against Hunger staff, including the Prevention from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA).
In an effort to safeguard children and adults in communities that we work with, our offers of employment and volunteering are conditional on successfully clearing background checks that may include, but are not limited to, criminal record, vulnerable sector, and employment reference checks.
If you are interested in this position, please apply online by February 10, 2023, using the following link: https://apply.workable.com/acfcanada/j/3DEB9BC612/
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.