JOB POSTING: PRODUCTION MANAGER, NATIONAL CANADIAN FILM DAY
REEL CANADA is hiring a Production Manager to join our team on contract, starting as soon as possible, and running full-time through to mid-May, with possibility for extension.
National Canadian Film Day (CanFilmDay) is a massive one-day annual celebration of Canadian cinema, presented by REEL CANADA.
REEL CANADA is a charitable not-for-profit whose mission is to introduce audiences to Canadian film and engage them in a conversation about identity and culture.
In 2023, CanFilmDay featured nearly 1600 live events across Canada and in 44 countries around the world. With 90,000 attendees and 2.5 million at-home viewers, CanFilmDay is truly a major event to plan and execute. We’re looking for a live event production superstar to add to the team.
Our organization thrives on a collaborative, friendly, and fast-paced team atmosphere. The successful candidate has a passion for cinema and Canadian culture, and wants to make an important contribution to the cultural life of this country.
The Production Manager is a contract employee position reporting to the Executive Team, and working closely with the rest of the CanFilmDay team.
This role will focus on the production management of live (in person and online) events and assets both in the lead up to, and on, National Canadian Film Day. Some more broad managerial oversight and support of CanFilmDay overall will also be required as necessary. While the majority of these events will take place in Toronto, some may also be produced remotely with partners in other parts of the country, or be live-streamed to broader audiences.
REEL CANADA is a hybrid work environment, with this role working in the office at Bloor and Bathurst in Toronto three days per week, and working remotely for the remainder of the week, with more in-office days expected as CanFilmDay approaches.
REEL CANADA is actively seeking candidates with diverse identities and lived experiences. We encourage those who self-identify as Black, Indigenous, people of colour, or people with a disability to apply.
- Production management and oversight of any/all large scale events in the GTA. These events will be live (in person with an audience, or livestreamed for an online audience), and may include live guests, remote guests (streamed in live) or pre-recorded elements. Working closely with the Artistic Director, Production team and CanFilmDay team to help shape each unique event from start to finish, and to ensure that events are executed on the day to a high standard.
- Management of video asset production, including tracking deadlines, and liaising with the video production team, Executive and Artistic Directors, and creatives to ensure smooth running of production and timely delivery.
- Leading on guest logistics and bookings and interacting with industry professionals.
- Leading on crew logistics and bookings of drivers, photographers, facilitators, and others.
- Providing overall support to the CanFilmDay Management team, including helping to push through department deadlines and support with team management as necessary.
- Taking part in event post-mortems and wrap up tasks at the end of April.
- Adhering to deadlines and internal organizational protocols.
- Ad-hoc outreach & coordination duties as required.
- Attending all-staff and relevant virtual meetings.
- Assisting the Executive Team as needed.
- Experience producing large scale in-person events and thorough knowledge of the various roles and responsibilities involved in event production. If you have production coordination or management (or stage management) experience from the film, TV or theatre industries, please highlight this in your resume and cover letter, as it is an asset for this job.
- Highly skilled in project management and oversight
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel/Google Sheets, and Word/Google Docs
- Familiarity with AirTable and/or Salesforce is an asset
- Fluency in French is an asset
- Comfortable using Zoom and similar video conferencing services
- Tech or AV skills for live events and/or livestream production experience using Zoom or similar video conferencing services and streaming live to YouTube/Facebook or elsewhere – or the interest and curiosity to learn these skills.
- 4+ years of professional experience
SKILLS AND APTITUDES
- Ability to communicate professionally and diplomatically with industry professionals
- Very strong attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize a number of different deadlines simultaneously
- Ability to remain calm and professional in a high pressure environment
- Being both a team player and a self-starter, and able to work effectively from home and in an office environment
Interested applicants are invited to apply using the application form on the REEL CANADA website at: reelcanada.ca/join-our-team
We thank all who apply, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
REEL CANADA welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate what accommodations are required, or arrange a phone call.