Animal Justice is a national animal law advocacy organization, focused on improving laws and policies to protect animals in Canada. Our team works to pass strong new animal laws at all levels of government, ensures industries and corporations are held accountable for abusing animals, and fights for animals in courtrooms across the country.
We seek a skilled and driven Public Relations Manager to amplify Animal Justice’s voice and message, and secure favourable news coverage for animal protection issues. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Animal Justice’s mission, will have a strong background in public relations, communications, and public affairs; and in-depth knowledge of the Canadian news media. The successful candidate will have an opportunity to contribute to a growing organization working on a cutting-edge social justice issue.
Animal Justice offers a friendly and collaborative work environment, and is an equal opportunity employer.
Position type: Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director
Work Location: Remote, hybrid, or at Animal Justice’s Toronto office; must be legally permitted to work in Canada
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: $70,000 to $82,000 per annum (commensurate with years of experience)
The Public Relations Manager will be responsible for obtaining favourable media coverage to help tell Animal Justice’s story to the public. Duties:
- Develop a public relations strategy for the organization, including goals, performance-tracking, budget, and tactics.
- Craft story pitches, press releases, media kits, quotes, blog posts, web content, and op-eds.
- Pitch stories, campaigns, exposés, and videos to news media to obtain high-level story placement.
- Work with a media database to curate media lists, track coverage, and generate monthly reports.
- Respond to inquiries from print, online, radio, and television journalists and reporters.
- Converse with reporters and journalists on background.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with journalists.
- Monitor news coverage and social media outlets for topics where animals could benefit from Animal Justice’s voice in the media. Prepare rapid-response communications when opportunities arise.
- Work with the communications team to help meet communications goals, including writing, reviewing, and editing content.
- Perform other relevant public relations and communications tasks as assigned from time to time.
- In-depth understanding of the Canadian media landscape.
- Extensive network of relationships across media, including print, online, radio, and television.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; confident story-teller, communicator, and presenter.
- Proactive, self-motivated, and responsive; able to identify opportunities and act quickly to spread the message of the organization.
- Knowledge of and interest in Canadian animal protection issues.
- Proficient with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, media databases, and other software, and ability to learn to use new digital tools quickly.
- Commitment to fostering and contributing to an environment that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Minimum five years of experience with public relations.
- Experience with public policy, the law, and/or the charitable sector is an asset.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to schedule effectively.
- Able to travel a few times a year for conferences, campaigns, or team events.
- Strong personal commitment to Animal Justice’s philosophy and mission to help animals in Canada.
What Animal Justice Offers
- An opportunity to contribute to animal advocacy
- A flexible work model that gives the option of remote, hybrid, or in-person
- Competitive compensation
- A supportive, collaborative, and inclusive culture
- Four weeks of paid vacation
- A health spending account
Candidate Selection Process
(Subject to adjustments)
- Interview 1
- Exercise (compensated)
- Possibly Interview 2
- Reference Check
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume as a single attachment in PDF format to Sonia Faruqi at email@example.com. Please note “Public Relations Manager” and your full name in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We are grateful for all applicants’ interest in the position, but only those under consideration for an interview will be contacted.
Notes on the Application Process
Animal Justice is committed to having accessible and equitable employment practices.
Because we value a diverse workplace, we prioritize an inclusive culture absent of discrimination during the application process and after joining the team. We encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially those from under-represented backgrounds. We believe that work on behalf of animals benefits greatly from collaborating with people from all backgrounds.
Individuals with disabilities who require accommodation in the application process may email a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you meet most but not all requirements and still think you would be a great fit for the role, we encourage you to apply. We do not expect all candidates to fit this role description 100 percent. If after reviewing this job description, you have decided not to apply, please feel free to let us know why by emailing email@example.com.
Together, we can help create a more just society for animals in Canada.