Launched in 2009, and operating as G(irls)20 from 2009 – 2021, Fora places young women at the center of decision-making processes. Fora is a center of excellence for young women’s leadership development. Through our signature programs – Global Summit, Girls on Boards and Next Level – we make strategic investments in young women through education and training, building networks, and access to unparalleled opportunities at home and abroad. While advocating for change at the global level through the annual Global Summit, we are invested in changing the status quo for young women across Canada by placing young leaders in decision-making spaces with Girls on Boards and upskilling young women with Next Level. Learn more at https://www.foranetwork.org.
POSITION: Research & Outreach Volunteer, Girls on Boards
HOURS: 5-10 hours per week
DURATION OF VOLUNTEER COMMITMENT: Minimum 4 months commitment
LOCATION: Remote, candidates located in Canada preferred
WORK ARRANGEMENT: Flexible schedule (set your own hours), with availability to attend one virtual meeting per week
PREFERRED START DATE: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: November 15 at 5:00 pm Eastern Time
APPLICATION METHOD: Application form (includes two (2) questions) and resumé. Please note that we are not asking for cover letters.
We are seeking multiple volunteers located in or with connections to Central Canada, the West Coast, the Prairie Provinces and Atlantic Canada to support research and outreach as we expand our presence in these regions.
VOLUNTEERING AT FORA
We’re a collaborative team committed to creating opportunities for all young women and people experiencing gender discrimination to get a seat at decision-making tables and have their voices heard, whether it be in business, politics, or social change. We provide high-quality programming and work closely with alumnae to constantly improve program design. As an organization, we are working toward making stronger connections to an intersectional and 2SLGBTQ+ feminist movement and evolving our programming and staffing in this direction.
Fora has an all-hands-on-deck attitude and there is no task too big or too small that staff may do. We work hard and have fun!
Fora is committed to equitable representation and access. To learn more about Fora’s continued learning and commitment to equity, please see our 2020 Equity Strategy and 2022 Equity Report.
Fora greatly appreciates the work and dedication of our volunteers.
As a volunteer with Fora, you will:
• Work and learn alongside professionals and leaders in the non-profit industry.
• Build a vast peer and professional network through participation in Fora’s events, training and community engagement opportunities.
• Improve/develop your communication, research, outreach, advocacy and logistical coordination skills, among others.
• Gain access to professional development opportunities (I.e., occasional training provided to the Fora team and program participants, and Fora events).
• Receive a letter of recommendation and/or a reference(s), depending on performance.
The Research and Outreach Volunteer will support recruitment and outreach efforts and the day-to-day operations of the Girls on Boards program. The individual will report to the Girls on Boards Project Coordinator and will work closely with all staff members across the organization’s programs, activities and stakeholders to drive impact for Fora. The successful candidate is a positive and outgoing individual who is comfortable working independently and being a collaborative team player.
The position is an exciting and unique opportunity to join an organization that is internationally recognized and respected while making a lasting impact on young people’s leadership in Canada and around the world for years to come.
The Girls on Boards Volunteer may contribute to the team in the following ways:
• Research potential partnering organizations across Canada and compile regional contact databases for future outreach efforts;
• Support the Project Coordinator with outreach and recruitment campaigns for Young Directors, Coaches and Boards, tracking points of contact in the CRM database;
• Support the Project Coordinator with event organization and planning, including travel logistics, occasionally as needed;
• Occasional participation in Fora’s programs’ workshops, internal and external events;
• Support the Project Coordinator with day-to-day program operations, as needed;
• Other duties as assigned.
This position is the right fit if you are:
• Interested in developing your career in non-profit programming;
• Committed to fostering positive relationships with your colleagues as well as participants, stakeholders and donors;
• Have a positive attitude and are energetic about any task at hand;
• A team player who believes in an all-hands-on-deck attitude;
• Open to learning new skills;
• Ready to push yourself and grow professionally;
• Willing to roll up your sleeves to do both the gritty and high-level work;
• Committed to feminist values with an understanding of how intersectionality contributes to different lived experiences among program participants and other stakeholders;
• Have the flexibility to work on tight and/or evolving timelines;
• Solutions-oriented; and
• A creative and innovative thinker.
The candidate should have:
• Access to a reliable internet network and personal computer/laptop
• Sensitivity working with young women and gender-diverse youth (ages 18-25) from a diversity of communities;
• Experience coordinating multiple stakeholders and the many moving parts of an organization;
• Comfort with digital technologies (assets including experience working with data management systems, customer relationship management systems, and learning management systems);
• Excellent writing skills;
• Excellent attention to detail and commitment to working efficiently.
To apply for this position, please fill out the following application form: https://airtable.com/shrAOPp6ANhvXBWfV
Applications will be screened on a rolling basis, and short-listed candidates will be invited to a brief interview. As such, applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.
The deadline for applications to be submitted is no later than Tuesday, November 15 at 5:00 pm Eastern Time.