Evergreen Retail & Visitor Experience Associates provide outstanding customer service that helps to bring Evergreen’s vision of a welcoming, mission-driven retail and visitor experience to life.
This is a public-facing role that supports key opportunities to connect with visitors to Evergreen Brick Works (EBW), including through retail and general Welcome Desk operations. Associates will spend the majority of their shifts working directly in the Evergreen Garden Market, with occasional shifts supporting food and beverage retail out of the Sipping Container (Evergreen’s pop-up shop that operates during Farmer’s Markets) and occasional shifts at the Welcome Desk.
Through our Retail and Visitor Experience operations Evergreen seeks to inspire others to live sustainably in their home and garden; our team of enthusiastic, high-energy and knowledgeable Retail & Visitor Experience Associates are integral to achieving that goal.
Evergreen is a national not-for-profit helping make cities flourish. Cities that are low carbon, inclusive to all and sustainable at their core.
For 30 years, Evergreen has been making Canadian cities better places to move, work, live, play and grow. We have worked from coast to coast with governments, neighborhood groups, school boards, developers and residents, collaborating to create better communities.
About the Role:
Evergreen Retail & Visitor Experience Associates are customer service focused, with enthusiasm for sharing product and site knowledge and the creativity to help address all manner of visitor needs and questions.
- Provide friendly and enthusiastic customer service to guests
- Provide expert plant recommendations to customers for their food and/or native plant gardens
- Identify pests and diseases on plants and recommend Integrated Pest Management steps
- Support operations of the Welcome Desk by greeting visitors to EBW and providing site information as required
- Support retail operations of the Sipping Container, including serving customers
- Accurately operate a computerized Point of Sale (POS) system and handle cash
- Troubleshoot POS issues such as error messages, mislabeled items, etc.
- Engage in proper procedures for opening and closing retail operations including float retrieval and return, cash deposit drops and credit/debit procedure
- Help ensure accurate inventory management and support product shipment and delivery
- Respond in a timely fashion to general inquiries
- Contribute to product flow and display set-up/take down
- Work alongside volunteers and assist with delivery, set up and clean-up of seminars workshops
- Help keep retail locations and Welcome Desk clean and inviting, carrying out minor custodial tasks as required
- Respond as directed during emergency situations (ie. flood escalation, lost child)
- Contribute to positive workplace culture and great internal communication
- Model Evergreen’s core values of sustainability, innovation and connection
You excel in the following areas:
- Customer-focus. Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of others in a way that exceeds their expectations.
- Communication. Speak, listen and write in a clear, confident, respectful, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
- Attention to detail. Recognize that details matter. Work systematically to ensure important details do not slip through the cracks.
- Flexibility/adaptability. Manage ambiguity well. Adapt to changing priorities and conditions in an agile way, responding quickly and effectively. React to change with curiosity and excitement.
You have the following qualifications:
- Enthusiasm for learning new things and working with a team
- Available for day, evening and weekend shifts, as scheduled
- Able to stand for extended periods of time in order to assist customers throughout the site
- Able to lift heavy objects (up to 25lbs) on a regular basis
- Prior experience in customer service or retail environment considered an asset
- Prior experience with POS system and handling cash an asset
- Supervised by: Retail Sales Manager
- May help to provide guidance and oversight to volunteers
- This position is based out of Evergreen’s head office at Evergreen Brick Works (EBW) in Toronto, and requires on-site presence across EBW
- Working indoors and outside, sometimes in inclement weather
- CSA approved Safety Shoes/Boots are required
- Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy: At Evergreen we are committed to doing what we can to keep our employees, volunteers, and visitors safe and healthy during the current pandemic. We believe that an important part of this effort is to ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For more information, please see our COVID-19 Guide.
- Part-time, permanent, hourly
- Wage: $18.00/hour
Application Close Date: April 30th, 2023
*Please include a cover letter with your resume to be considered for this position.*