The Royal Canadian College of Organists (RCCO) is seeking a skilled and passionate Social Media Marketer/Event Coordinator for a 10-month contract in support of an exciting contemporary music initiative.
Candidates must have professional experience as both a social media marketer and event coordinator.
This position will support and promote the RCCO’s FutureStops initiative, which includes the FutureStops Podcast, the (evolving) FutureStops web platform (futurestops.org), and an ambitious and cross-disciplinary FutureStops eSymposium to be held in September, 2022.
At the beginning of this contract we anticipate that Social Media Marketing duties will require approximately 80% of the hours associated with this position, with 20% used to support the eSymposium coordination. Gradually we expect this ratio to be reversed, with planning requirements for the eSymposium taking up more and more time as the eSymposium approaches. The 4-6 weeks leading up to and during the eSymposium are expected to be especially demanding.
FutureStops – the 21st Century Organ Experience is an initiative of The Royal Canadian College of Organists. The FutureStops project will connect new audiences with the organ and its music by creating innovative organ-centric culturally-specific experiences designed for digital discovery, sharing and interaction, and will ultimately expand citizen awareness of, and appreciation for, the organ and its musical community.
Key Duties Social Media Marketing:
- Grow and expand FutureStops social media presence, reach and impact on new social media platforms, and increase it on existing platforms
- Plan and implement effective social media marketing strategies, using both tried-and-true and innovative tactics
- Create, schedule, post and monitor a steady stream of engaging social media content
- Track and evaluate social media performance and iterate to improve outcomes
- Identify and pursue potent social media partnerships and collaborations (content sharing, co-branding, takeovers, champions and influencers, contests, etc.)
- Manage comments, answer questions, solicit user-generated content and engage constructively with digital community to maximize engagement and loyalty
- Update the Future Stops website
- Manage targeted online ad buys as needed
- Identify contentious issues or trolls or other problems and share with RCCO leadership
Key Duties Event Coordination:
Collaborate closely with the FutureStops eSymposium Curator to:
- Help map and manage all eSymposium production logistics
- Help manage venue, vendor and artist contracts
- Manage event registrations and attendee liaison
- Help manage volunteers
- Help track expenses
- Coordinate both online and IRL lectures, workshops and panels
- Support Curator in coordinating live concerts
- Liaise with A/V and other production support teams
- Help manage media outreach and event marketing
Skills and Qualifications:
- Holistic thinker, tactical planner, results-oriented doer
- Proven experience as event coordinator
- A proven track record of organizing successful events
- Clear and confident communicator
- Excellent people skills (friendly, good listener, empathetic, etc.)
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to handle stress and remain calm
- Proactive and creative problem-solving
- Ability to develop and implement creative and effective social media marketing strategies
- Ability to write/create effective social media posts
- Basic graphic design skills (ie ability to work with templates in Photoshop)
- Online community management
- Familiarity with social media management tools (HootSuite, Google Analytics, Facebook Ad Manager, etc.) and popular web platforms (Instagram, Discord, WordPress, Twitch, etc.)
- Hands-on can-do attitude
- Honest, ethical, reliable, respectful, responsive
- Ability to work well with others, including experience working with diverse communities
- Experience working with musicians or cultural sector preferred
Founded in 1909, the RCCO is the national voice of the organ and its music across Canada. Our vision is: Inspiring connections with organ music. We support, promote and celebrate Canada’s organ music community by providing learning opportunities, resources, outreach and professional development opportunities through our programs and services. We seek to enrich the lives of Canadians by engaging the wider public in Canada’s rich organ heritage and vibrant organ culture. The RCCO is committed to providing greater access to the organ and its music through technological innovations that can enhance its reach and actively engage Canadians of all genders, ethnicities, age, abilities, or geographic location, in the art of the organ.
This position pays $30.00 per hour. From January through June 2022 the workload will be 25 hours per week. From July 1 through October 14 2022 the workload will be 40 hours per week.
Initially, the successful candidate will be working remotely but closer to and during the event will be working on location in Toronto.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should send a resume, 3 references and a cover letter of no more than 2 pages stating clearly why they want this position and what strengths they will bring to it to Elizabeth Shannon at email@example.com no later than November 22, 2021. The Royal Canadian College of Organists is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from persons identifying as visible minorities and indigenous heritage. All applicants are thanked for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.