Hours: 30 – 40 hours a week (flexible)
Contract: 6 month contract with possible extension pending funding
Location: Anywhere in Ontario, remote work.
Salary Range: $25/hr to $32/hr
Benefits: OCO compensates staff for personal device use, internet and other small office
expenses pending approval. After 6 months, staff may be offered a health savings plan.
Eligibility: This position is made possible through government funding. To qualify, you must be:
- between the ages of 15 and 30 inclusive when the internship starts
- a post-secondary graduate (this is not required for participants who live in Yukon, Northwest Territories or Nunavut);
- legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e. Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status); and,
- self-assess as underemployed, meaning they are employed below their level of education, outside their field of study, hold part-time employment, or unemployed.
About the Organic Council of Ontario:
The Organic Council of Ontario (OCO) is the Voice for Organics in Ontario. We are the only full value chain association operating at the provincial level. OCO represents over 1,300 certified organic operators, as well as the businesses, organizations, and individuals that bring food from farm to plate. OCO works to catalyze sector growth, support research, improve training, increase data collection, encourage market development, protect the integrity of organic claims, and inform the public of the benefits and requirements of organic agriculture.
About the Job:
OCO has recently revamped our Ontario Organic Directory, Organic Data Portal and created a new Organic Knowledge Base all within one custom-developed application that draws data on membership, certification, and products from our online Customer Relationship Management (CRM) platform and system of record, Hubspot. The application also employs various custom import tools to pull data from a variety of sources to create dynamic and up-to-date data reports on the organic sector (acreage, number of operators etc.) using Data Wrapper. However, while the launch date is approaching, there are still many processes and design improvements required to create a seamless experience for OCO members and to reduce manual entries for staff. Furthermore, OCO aspires to increase the data reports offered and requires a curious and strategic mind to help source and develop new automated data reports and improved processes for sustaining these efforts in the future.
The Website and Information Systems Manager will support OCO to manage this new application and improve it, increasing integration, efficiency, and creating a seamless experience for OCO members, staff and public users. They will also be responsible for helping OCO research and explore new digital tools, APIs and explore new systems integrations and process optimizations.
The intern will be responsible for:
- Work with OCO staff and contractors to identify improvements and problem solve fixes in the new application;
- Support user testing of the new application, manage and track feedback;
- Design new features and processes to increase efficiencies and improve overall user experience;
- Problem solve issues with app integration and conduct research to achieve the desired outcome with limited resources;
- Research new tools/systems to support improved functioning with limited resources;
- Program new features when and where appropriate;
- Support SEO improvements for both the application and OCO’s website.
Data Portal Development
- Acquire, clean and import organic membership and product data to Hubspot to be synced to the new application;
- Acquire data from partners and perform regular updates to the Ontario Organic Data Portal using custom-built tools;
- Work with OCO staff, partners and data specialist to determine tagging and categorization architecture for improved searchability and functionality;
- Determine new sources of organic data (e.g. livestock, consumer processed goods) and design reports to feature relevant analysis. This may involve discussions with partners, designing surveys and/or forms and some business strategy;
- Analyze and assess the data collected to highlight trends and insights;
- Process membership data to populate and maintain the Ontario Organic directory;
- Oversee ongoing data management and process optimization using OCO’s member database and custom-built membership management tools.
Knowledge and skills
The ideal candidate will be an enthusiastic problem solver and project manager with both digital skills and good design sensibilities. They will possess an impressive ability to see both the big picture and delve into the details; to work with numbers and people. They do not need to be a developer, but rather someone who can program manage our development contractors. They will possess:
- Initiative, drive and a high degree of self-motivation;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Excellent problem solving skills and information architecture thinking;
- Ability to research, understand and translate technical concepts/digital requirements to other team members;
- Excellent customer service and negotiation skills;
- A change management mindset, willing to look for out-of-the box solutions for triangulating data and/or filling a technology gap;
- User Experience Design and/or other graphic design skills an asset;
- Some experience coding and/or an ability to read source code;
- Some experience using CRM, page-builders, and/or Business Intelligence applications;
- An eye for detail;
- Proficiency in using excel and/or other spreadsheet applications;
- A curious mind with an ability to imagine new possibilities;
- An ability to simplify complex systems, identify redundancies;
- An eager willingness to learn and/or improve systems;
- Some data manipulation experience an asset;
- Excellent communication – oral and written;
- Some knowledge of organic agriculture and/or the Ontario agri-food landscape an asset;
- Open to candidates from a variety of backgrounds. Degrees in computer programming, user experience design, environmental studies, information systems management and/or digital marketing and communications an asset.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter in one PDF to email@example.com by September 10th at 5pm.