Work at CSI for the day with our new Lounge Pass!

Press Release: Innovation Works & CSI Announce New Approach to Bolster Ontario’s Social Innovation Ecosystem

CSI

CSI

For Immediate Release:

May 19, 2016

Innovation Works and the Centre for Social Innovation Announce New Approach to Bolster Ontario’s Social Innovation Ecosystem

(London, ON) – Innovation Works, London’s new coworking space for social innovators, has announced a first-of-its-kind affiliation in Canada with the Centre for Social Innovation (CSI), Canada’s first coworking space and a globally recognized leader in the field of collaborative communities and innovation since its inception in Toronto in 2004.

The seeds of the partnership began several years ago when Pillar Nonprofit Network, a London based organization that catalyzed the creation of Innovation Works, engaged CSI to support the development of a coworking space in London. The relationship blossomed and today’s announcement of the affiliation is intended to strengthen each organization’s offerings to their respective communities and create a bridge for new collaborations between social innovators in Toronto and London.

When Innovation Works opens in June, its co-tenants and the 2,500 members of CSI will:

• Access shared technology platforms to enable innovators in both cities to more easily connect with one another.
  • Enable members from each organization to access each organization’s member lounges and access Wi-Fi during business hours.
  • Enjoy discounts on meeting room and event facilities.

“Having this partnership reinforces the heart behind Innovation Works,” says Michelle Baldwin, Executive Director of Pillar Nonprofit Network. “Creating intentional collisions between a variety of changemakers in the city and now across city lines is how we will address our most pressing needs.”

“We are so excited to be expanding our community of changemakers to the amazing tenants at Innovation Works,” says Tonya Surman, Co-Founder and CEO of the Centre for Social Innovation. “Working closely with Pillar, we are already agitating the status quo and giving members access to yet another cohort of ideas and people.”

This partnership has been designed to benefit entrepreneurs, students, leaders and government organizations. Innovation Works intends to further expand their partnership, as they are looking to establish similar exchanges with other spaces throughout Canada.

About Innovation Works:

Innovation Works is the only place in London, Ontario specifically designed to encourage collaboration and innovation. New innovations and cross-sector collaboration among nonprofits, social enterprises, social purpose businesses and entrepreneurs are key to turning economic, environmental, social and cultural challenges into opportunities. For more information, please visitwww.innovationworkslondon.ca

About Pillar Nonprofit Network:

Pillar Nonprofit Network supports nonprofit member organizations in fulfilling their missions in our community, while also making connections for community impact.  Pillar provides leadership, advocacy and professional development, and promotes volunteerism, networking opportunities and information sharing.  Pillar also believes fostering social enterprise, social innovation and cross-sector collaboration are key strategic priorities in building stronger and more inclusive communities.  For more information, please visit www.pillarnonprofit.ca

About the Centre for Social Innovation:

The Centre for Social Innovation is a social enterprise with a mission to catalyze social innovation. They have four locations in Toronto and one in New York City and are home to over 3,500 social innovators.

Media Contacts:

Innovation Works:

Michelle Baldwin, Executive Director
Pillar Nonprofit Network
mbaldwin@pillarnonprofit.ca
Office: 519-433-7876
Cell: 519-668-4456

Centre for Social Innovation:

Kevin Hurley, Special Projects Manager
Centre for Social Innovation
kevin@socialinnovation.ca
Office: 416-979-3939
Cell: 416-294-6341

Keep Reading
A black and white photograph from the 1940s of the Roseland Theatre in New Glasgow, Nova Scotia.
You may know Viola Desmond from school lessons, from history books, from the ten dollar bill, or from the Viola Desmond room on the third floor of CSI Spadina! Desmond was an entrepreneur who helped to catalyze the Canadian Civil Rights movement.
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 3.03
STEPS Public Art, one of CSI's many esteemed alumni, celebrated a pretty big milestone recently - 10 years! After their big anniversary party at CSI Spadina, we knew we had to catch up with them to learn more about their experience and their first decade of social impact. Read on for the full interview!
A view of 720 Bathurst Street. It is a brick building, 5 storeys tall, and we are looking at the eastern facade, which faces Bathurst Street. The northern wall is covered in ivy.
On Monday, January 22nd, CSI launched the official RFP process for anyone interested in the purchase of the storied brick and beam gem, 720 Bathurst St., that has been home to CSI Annex for the last decade. 
Become A Member