How many people have you talked to today? For most people in Canada, that number is smaller than they’d like it to be. Across the country, a lot of us are feeling pretty lonely. A quick scan of recent news shines a light on the severity of the situation:
- “Extreme personal isolation” is reported by those who work from home. (source)
- 62% of Canadians would like their friends/family to spend more time with them. (source)
- Being lonely can be more harmful than smoking 15 cigarettes a day. (source)
The antidote to isolation is community. And at the Centre for Social Innovation we have built one of the best that there is. Since 2004, we have become the home-base for thousands of smart, warm, and principled people. Do you want to work with others to put people and planet first? We’d love to meet you!
We’ve created a handful of ways to make that happen:
- Come to work in one of our spaces. In all four of our locations, on any given day and you’ll see things like members sharing marketing tips while making coffee, posters everywhere alerting us to upcoming shared meals, and people greeting each other’s dogs by name. Whether you want a designated office space or just a few hours a month to work somewhere, we have a membership package for you.
- Join our Desk Exchange Community Animator program. If renting from us is outside of your budget, we’ve still got you covered. You can get access to our spaces and networks in exchange a weekly eight-hour shift staffing one of our welcome desks. Past and present DECA’s say the experience has been life changing. Want to find out what being a DECA can do for you? Applications are open until the end of July.
- Sign up for our Online Community Membership. Maybe you have already created the home office of your dreams. Maybe you work on your own projects during downtime at your day job. Maybe you have your laptop with you as you bounce around the country (or the planet). Maybe you live in a city other than Toronto! You can still get the benefits of being part of CSI by becoming an Online Community Member. (Want to meet some of our existing Online Community Members? Click here!)
- Attend one of our events. Whether you want to learn about the Tiny House movement, participate in a discussion about food security, or attend a clothing swap, there are incredible things happening in our spaces all the time! Coming to a CSI event is a great way to get a feel for our spaces, and meet some of the people who make CSI so special. Check what’s coming up, and RSVP for something great!
In addition to fantastic community, members also get special rates on meeting and event spaces, promotional opportunities, free consultations with experts, access to capital, and much more. If you want to change the world, you’ve found your home. Want to learn more? Take a tour now!